Default Customer Options
Before creating customer accounts, or allowing your customers to create their own accounts, it is important for you to configure your customer settings. To do so, navigate to System > Configuration and select the Customer configuration tab in the left column.
- Share Customer Accounts - When a customer creates an account in a given Store View, that account will be shared with every Store View in the same Website if you select Per Website. If you select Global, that account will be shared with every store view in every Website that you have created.
- Email Template - Select the template for the email that will be sent to a customer when they create a new account. There is more information on how to configure these templates later in the chapter.
- Email Sender - Designate the address from which New Account emails will be sent to your customers. There is more information on how to configure these addresses later in the chapter.
- Default Email Domain - This field is primarily used during admin Order creation. In this process, the email field is optional. If it is left blank, Magento will automatically generate an email address to associate to the Order. The format will be [Customer ID]@[Default Email Domain]. During this process there is a checkbox allowing you send an Email Order Confirmation. If you left the email field blank, you would not want to send an Order email. The automatically generated email is fictitious, so it would bounce back.
- Default Group - Designate the Customer Group that will be assigned to all customers when they first create an account. This drop-down will list all existing Customer Groups other than NOT LOGGED IN. There is more information about Customer Groups later in the chapter.
- Need to Confirm - Select whether or not you customers will need to send an email confirmation reply in order to activate their account.
- Forgot Email Template - Select the template for the email that will be sent to a customer when they click the Forgot Your Password? link during log in.
- Forgot Email Sender - Designate the address from which the Forgot Password emails will be sent to you customers.