Admin Panel > Catalog > Attributes > Manage Attribute Sets
An Attribute Set is a collection of attributes, customized to fit certain types of products. All Attribute Sets must contain all of Magento’s System Attributes, but you can customize them to include combinations of Custom Attributes. Once you have created each of your Custom Attributes, you can associate each with one or more Attribute Sets. A product is then associated with an Attribute Set during product creation, and the Attribute Set’s Custom Attributes will appear in the Admin Panel when creating and editing products with that attribute set.
- Name - Name of attribute set. Will appear in the drop down for attribute set selection when creating new products. Will not appear on the frontend.
- Based On - Even if you have not created any Attribute Sets previously, you can select the Default Attribute Set from the Based On drop-down, which comes with Magento by default, from which you will import Attributes. This includes all of the System Attributes, organized into Groups according to their function. The Default attribute can be customized just as any Attribute Set that you create. Once you have created additional Attribute Sets, you can choose any of these from the Based On drop-down, which will import the Custom Attributes and Groups from that Attribute Set, saving you time during the configuration process.
- Name - Name that you entered when creating the attribute set. Can be edited at any point during the configuration, or later on by editing the Attribute Set.
- Groups - Groups are like folders that contain attributes. Each Group corresponds to a different tab in the New Product page. This helps organize the attributes by function so that you can edit them in the product page more efficiently. Magento comes with five Groups by default: General, Prices, Meta Information, Images, and Design. These contain the various System Attributes, marked with a red circle system_attribute.jpg on the attribute icon. System Attributes cannot be removed from an Attribute Set, however they can be moved to different Groups. Therefore, you can remove a Group as long as there are no System Attributes within it. The ordering of both the Groups and the attributes can be changed by clicking and dragging it. This affects the order of the tabs and attributes in the product page, respectively. You can also create a new Group, to which you can move System Attributes, or associate Simple Attributes. To do this, click Add New, and enter the name of the Group in the pop-up.
- Unassigned Attributes - This list contains all of the Simple Attributes which you have created. You can associate one of these attribute to your Attribute Set by clicking and dragging this attribute into the desired Group. Once it is associated to this Attribute Set, it will no longer appear in the Unassigned Attributes list. To disassociate an attribute, click and drag it back to the Unassigned Attributes list.