ADMIN: Catalog → Attributes → Manage Attributes
This is an old revision of the document!
In Magento, Attributes are quantifiable or descriptive aspects of a product, from the color, to the manufacturer, to the SKU number. There are two kinds of attributes in Magento: System Attributes and Custom Attributes.
By default, Magento includes all the necessary System Attributes. These cannot be deleted, and every product must have each of these attributes. Therefore, all Attribute Sets must include these attributes (more on Attribute sets in the next section). These type of attributes include Name, Price, and SKU, without which a product would not function.
Custom Attributes, on the other hand, are attributes created by the Store Owner. These will likely be more specific for individual products, and therefore will not necessarily be included in every Attribute set. For example, if you were to create an attribute for color, with values of blue, green, yellow, etc., you may want to apply this attribute to an Attribute Set for shirts, which you sell in various colors, but you probably would not include it in an Attribute Set for DVDs, for which color is not really an applicable attribute.
Once an attribute is created, in order to make it available when editing products it must be added to an attribute set (Catalog > Attributes > Manage Attribute Sets). That attribute set must then be chosen when the product is created. Note: A product’s attribute set cannot be changed after the product is created (though new attributes can be added to the set after product creation.)
- Attribute Code - Required. Used internally by Magento. Must be unique with no spaces. Cannot be edited after creation.
- Scope - This drop-down determines the level at which the values of this attribute are shared. When creating a product, you will be able to see the Scope to the right of each attribute.
- Store View : the value of this attribute for a given product can differ in all Websites and all Store Views. For example, if you were creating an attribute called Color, with a Store View Scope, you would be able to set the color of a product to green in one Store View, and blue in another Store View.
- Website : Website means that the value of this attribute for a given product can differ in different Websites, however it cannot differ between Store Views contained under the same Website
- Global : the value of this attribute for a given product must be the same for all websites and stores on this Magento installation
- Catalog Input Type for Store Owner - Data entry field type for this attribute. Note that Attributes whose input type requires multiple predefined options, such as the Dropdown or Multiple Select types, cannot later be changed to direct input types like text boxes.
- Text Field : xxx
- Text Area : xxx
- Date : xxx
- Yes/No : xxx
- Multiple select : Multi-select option values are created in the Manage Label/Options tab
- Drop down : Drop down option values are created in the Manage Label/Options tab
- Price : xxx
- Media Image : xxx
- Fixed Product Tax : xxx
- Default Value - If you enter a default value, each new product created with this attribute will automatically have this attribute prepopulated with this value. This field is not displayed for Multiple Select, Drop down, or Media Image Input Types. Drop down or Multiple Select Input Type default value can be set in the Manage Label/Options tab
- Unique Value - This option defines how the attribute you are working can be used by Magento.
- Yes : Magento will only allow any single label/option of this attribute to be used once and only once by any product. So if one product has already selected a label/option in this attribute list, then no other product my select that same value.
- No : Multiple products can share the same value for this attribute.
- Values Required - The option sets whether Magento will require the attribute have a value selected when creating the product.
- Yes : This attribute will be treated as a required input field when products are created and edited
- No - This attribute will be treated as an optional input field. You can create a product with this attribute and have this specific attribute be left blank
- Input Validation for Store Owner - This controls the type of check Magento places on the values entered for this attribute for each product. If you select None, you can enter any type of information as the value for this attribute. If you select Email, for example, Magento will make sure that the value entered for each product resembles an email address. If it does not, you will receive a warning message.
- Decimal number :
- Integer number :
- Email :
- URL :
- Letters :
- Letters and numbers :
- Apply To - Required. Determines which product types can include this attribute. This is a multi-select field.
- All product types :
- Selected product types :
- Use in Quick Search - Adds this attribute to the list of fields the quick search (the search bar in the header) uses when searching
- Use in Advanced Search - Adds this attribute to the list of fields the advanced search uses when searching. Similar to the quick search. However, in the Advanced Search, each attribute will have its own field on the advanced search page, rather than there being one search field
- Comparable on Front-end - Adds this attribute to the comparable views. A row will be created for this attribute in the Compare Products pop-up window
- Use In Layered Navigation - Magento’s Layered Navigation allows your customers to filter down into a category’s products using any attribute that is “filterable” for Layered Navigation. Layered navigation can only work with attributes with input types of Dropdown, Multiple Select and Price
- No : Will not be available in layered navigation.
- Filterable (with results) : Only values that correspond to products in that category page will display in the menu (that is, only values that produce “results” when used as a filter).
- Filterable (no results) : All values that you’ve created in the Manage Label / Options tab will list, whether or not they correspond to any particular products in that category page (it includes values that do not produce “results” when used as a filter)
- Use In Search Results Layered Navigation - Adds this attribute to the layer navigation panel when products have this attribute are displayed in the search results. Can be used only with catalog input type Dropdown, Multiple Select and Price
- Use for Promo Rule Conditions
- Position - Determines the position of the attribute in the Layered Navigation menu with respect to the other filterable attributes.
- Enable WYSIWYG
- Allow HTML Tags on Frontend - Allow attribute values that have HTML tags enclosing them to have those HTML tags honoured.
- Visible on Product View Page on Front-end - Displays this attribute and it’s value on product pages in the “Additional Information” section.
- Used in Product Listing - Depends on design theme.
- Used for Sorting in Product Listing - By setting this option to Yes the attribute gets added to the default sort options. So at the bottom of the product list this attribute can be chosen as a sort option.
Enter a label for the attribute as it will be seen in the Admin Panel and on the frontend stores. You can enter different labels for each store. Notice if you have multi-language stores, this is where you would translate attribute labels and values. If you leave a store field blank, it will use the default (admin) label.
For drop down or multi-select attributes, you must provide the options for the attribute. Use the [+Add Option] button to create fields for all your options and enter the values for each. Notice if you have multi-language stores, this is where you would translate attribute labels and values.
Enter a numerical value in the Position field, and this will determine the sort order of the values in the drop-down/multiple select menu relative to each other. For the Dropdown Input Type, you will have an Is Default radio button with which you can select one value. For the Multiple Select Input Type, you will have an Is Default checkbox with which you can select multiple values.
I am using magento CE 126.96.36.199. and i set ‘Yes’ on Use in Quick and Advance search for my custom attribute ‘Partnumber’. but problem is it is working in local pc , not on server. what do i do now?