ADMIN: Customer → Customer Segments
This is an old revision of the document!
Customer Segments allow you to dynamically identify customer groups based on specific characteristics, from address information, order history, shopping cart contents, and more and to dynamically target different content and promotions to those groups. You can then generate reports and export the customers, as well as optimize marketing initiatives based on those segments including Shopping Cart Price Rules and Banners. Customer Segment information constantly refreshes, so that customers can become associated and dissociated to a Segment as their information changes.
Reporting Based on Customer Segments
Click Match Customers at the top of the page. The list of customers can be exported to CSV or Excel using the Export to drop-down, and clicking Export. The second location where a report can be generated is Reports→Customers→Customer Segments. Select an existing Customer Segment. The report can be generated using the same Export options. In future releases, this report will also allow you to quickly cross-reference Customer Segments. Chapter 8—Rich Merchandising Suite
Promotions Based on Customer Segments
In order to utilize these Customer Segments for marketing purposes, you can associate them to Shopping Cart Price Rules or Banners.
- Shopping Cart Price Rules – To associate a Segment to a Shopping Cart Price Rule, navigate to Promotions > Shopping Cart Price Rules, click Add New Rule or select an existing Shopping Cart Price Rule from the grid, click the Conditions tab, and select Customer Segment as a condition in the dropdown. You can specify the Segment to use from a grid listing all of the existing Segments.
- Banners – To associate a Segment to a Banner, navigate to CMS > Banners, click Add Banner or select an existing Banner from the grid, and select Specified from the Customer Segments dropdown. This will open a multi-select menu including all existing Segments. You can associate multiple Segments to a Banner.
- Segment Name (required field) – This is for internal purposes.
- Description – This is also for internal purposes, and provides an optional space to enter more detailed information than can be contained in the Segment Name.
- Assigned to Website (required field) – A Customer Segment can only be assigned to one Website, because the conditions can use information that is specific to each Website. To use the same conditions on multiple Websites, you must create multiple Segments.
- Status (Active/Inactive) – Select Active to enable this Segment. Price Rules and Banners associated to this Segment can be unassociated by selecting Inactive, without having to edit the Price Rule or Banners.
Conditions—In the Conditions tab you can define the rules by which customers will be associated to this Segment. These rules are defined in a similar manner to those of Shopping Cart and Catalog Price Rules, with different options. There are 5 main characteristics upon which these rules can be based.
- Customer Address – You can define any of the address fields, such as city or country. Any address in a customer’s address book can match these conditions for the customer to match. Or, you can specify that only the default billing or shipping addresses can be used to match a customer.
- Customer – Miscellaneous customer information can be defined, including Customer Group, name, email, newsletter subscription status, and Store Credit balance.
- Shopping Cart – Shopping Cart characteristics can be based on either quantity (line items or total quantity) or monetary amount (grand total, tax, gift card, etc.) currently in the shopping cart.
- Products – You can define products that are in the shopping cart or wishlist, or that have previously been viewed or ordered. You can also set a date range for when this occurred. The products are defined using product attributes. There is a new setting in the attribute management page called Use for Customer Segment Conditions, which must be set to Yes for the attribute to appear in this section.
- Sales – Order characteristics for past orders can be defined based on the billing/shipping address in the order, the total or average amount or quantity of the orders, or the total number of orders. You can also set a date range for when this occurred, and the order status of the orders that match these conditions.
- Matched Customers –This tab will only appear for previously created Segments. It will be discussed in the Reports section below.