ADMIN: Customer → Customer Segments
This is an old revision of the document!
Customer Segments allow you to dynamically identify customer groups based on specific characteristics, from address information, order history, shopping cart contents, and more and to dynamically target different content and promotions to those groups. You can then generate reports and export the customers, as well as optimize marketing initiatives based on those segments including Shopping Cart Price Rules and Banners. Customer Segment information constantly refreshes, so that customers can become associated and de-associated to a Segment as their information changes.
- Segment Name (required field) – This is for internal purposes.
- Description – This is also for internal purposes, and provides an optional space to enter more detailed information than can be contained in the Segment Name. * Assigned to Website (required field) – A Customer Segment can only be assigned to one Website, because the conditions can use information that is specific to each Website. To use the same conditions on multiple Websites, you must create multiple Segments.
- Status (Active/Inactive) – Select Active to enable this Segment. Price Rules and Banners associated to this Segment can be unassociated by selecting Inactive, without having to edit the Price Rule or Banners.
Conditions—In the Conditions tab you can define the rules by which customers will be associated to this Segment. These rules are defined in a similar manner to those of Shopping Cart and Catalog Price Rules, with different options. There are 5 main characteristics upon which these rules can be based.
- Customer Address – You can define any of the address fields, such as city or country. Any address in a customer’s address book can match these conditions for the customer to match. Or, you can specify that only the default billing or shipping addresses can be used to match a customer.
- Customer – Miscellaneous customer information can be defined, including Customer Group, name, email, newsletter subscription status, and Store Credit balance.
- Shopping Cart – Shopping Cart characteristics can be based on either quantity (line items or total quantity) or monetary amount (grand total, tax, gift card, etc.) currently in the shopping cart.
- Products – You can define products that are in the shopping cart or wishlist, or that have previously been viewed or ordered. You can also set a date range for when this occurred. The products are defined using product attributes. There is a new setting in the attribute management page called Use for Customer Segment Conditions, which must be set to Yes for the attribute to appear in this section.
- Sales – Order characteristics for past orders can be defined based on the billing/shipping address in the order, the total or average amount or quantity of the orders, or the total number of orders. You can also set a date range for when this occurred, and the order status of the orders that match these conditions.
- Matched Customers –This tab will only appear for previously created Segments. It will be discussed in the Reports section below.