ADMIN: System → Configuration → Inventory Tab
In this section you set global stock management parameters. While parameters from the Stock Options section are found only in system configuration, parameters from the Product Stock Options section are also available on the product level and may be overridden there.
Note that global stock management settings are only available for the whole configuration set, not the store or store view.
Controls in this section manage the decrease of products stock when an order is created as well as increase of stock when an already created order is cancelled.
- Decrease Stock When Order is Placed — Controls whether the quantity of products in stock decreases when orders are placed. Scope: GLOBAL.
- Set Items’ Status to be In Stock When Order is Cancelled — Controls whether products in pending orders automatically return to the stock if orders are cancelled. Scope: STORE VIEW.
- Display Out of Stock Products — Allows products with 0 inventory or an out of stock status to be shown on the frontend. Scope: GLOBAL.
- Only X left Threshold — Scope: WEBSITE.
For your convenience, you may set values for most of the inventory parameters in system configuration. By this you define the default values appearing in the Inventory section on the product level. However, if necessary, you may change the default values further on while creating or editing products. These settings are applicable to cart line items, not the whole cart.
- Manage Stock — Defines whether all the inventory options are available for products. By setting this parameter to No you indicate that you will not manage products’ inventory and that products will permanently be in stock.
- Backorders — Manages whether customers are allowed to place orders for products that are currently out of stock. The parameter can be set to one of the three available values:
- No Backorders — Does not allow placing orders for products out of stock.
- Allow Qty Below 0 — Allows placing orders for products with negative inventory.
- Allow Qty Below 0 and Notify Customer — Allows placing orders for products with negative inventory. Also, when products appear in stock, customers who have placed orders for these products are automatically notified that they may proceed with checkouts.
- Maximum Qty Allowed in Shopping Cart — Specifies the maximum quantity of products in the shopping cart. You may limit the number of products in the shopping cart if, for example, you want to avoid wholesale customers in your store.
- Qty for Items’ Status to become Out of Stock — Specifies the products’ quantity in stock to be considered as out of stock. By default, this value is set to 0. However, you may decide not to sell off products, but to keep some quantity available in your store.
- Minimum Qty Allowed in Shopping Cart — Specifies the minimum quantity of products in shopping cart. This may be useful if you want to encourage wholesale customers buying certain quantities of products available in store.
- Notify for Quantity Below — When the stock level of any product goes below this level, Magento will automatically notify you via RSS Feed. This ability works in conjunction with the Decrease Stock When Order is Placed drop-down above, because Magento cannot notify you of a low stock unless you also enable it to keep track of stock reduction. In this field, enter the quantity level at which Magento will send a notification. Note that the default of 0 disables out-of-stock RSS notifications. In order to subscribe to the RSS feed, navigate to Catalog > Manage Products, and click the Notify Low Stock RSS link at the top of the page. You will be prompted to enter your User Name and Password. These are the same that you use to access the Magento admin panel. You will be redirected to the RSS page, where you can select which reader you would like to use for receiving this feed.