Packaging a Magento Extension
This is an old revision of the document!
This admin page will help to package your extensions, such as modules, add-ons, language packs, interfaces and themes, into PEAR packages which you could upload to MagentoConnect and share with other community members. The extension packaging process includes generation of package.xml file with information about the package collected by the steps below, and archiving content files and folders specified by the Contents step.
After package release is uploaded to MagentoConnect, it will be available for download and installation for other members, by pasting extension key into MagentoConnect downloader.
- PEAR channel nickname (
- Short package name (
- Numeric release version (
1.2.3) or release stability (
beta) - optional
So the extension key could look like this:
magento-core/Mage_Core_Modules-1.2.3’ - specific release version will be installedmagento-core/Mage_Core_Modules-beta
- latest beta release will be installedmagento-core/Mage_Core_Modules
- latest release for local stability settings will be installedconnect.magentocommerce.com/core
==== NOTES ==== Make sure that downloader/pearlib/php and var/pear folders exist and have writable permissions for the web service. * In version 1.0 you should run these commands before packaging extensions, to initialize PEAR packager: <code> cd downloader ./pear mage-setup </code> * In all Channel fields use: * CORE packages:
) * COMMUNITY packages:connect.magentocommerce.com/community
Is divided into 5 steps, detailed below.
After all steps has been completed, you can click “Save” button to save package information info into var/pear/<package_name>.ser file for future retrieval by clicking “Load” button.
Also you can generate the release package by clicking on “Save data and Create Package” button, which will validate information and create .tar.gz file in var/pear that you can upload to MagentoConnect.
Here is general information about package without regards to releases or versions
- Name: PEAR short package name, ( Mage_Oscommerce )
- Channel: For community packages use (connect.magentocommerce.com/community)
- Summary: Short package definition
- Description: Extended package definition
- License: Extension license name (OSL v3.0)
- License URI: Web URL for license text (http://www.opensource.org/licenses/osl-3.0.php)
In this tab provide release/version specific information
- Release Version: Major, minor, revision and stability for the release (1.1.20123alpha)
- API Version: Major and minor version for API used in this release (1.0)
- Release Stability: Stability of this release (alpha)
- API Stability: Stability of the API used in this release (stable)
- Notes: Release notes for users and developers
Maintainers of the package, user names the same as in MagentoConnect Only LEAD maintainers can upload releases
- PHP Version: Minimum: 5.2.0, Maximum: 6.0.0, Exclude: 6.0.0 - will work only with PHP5 >= 5.2.0
Dependencies for current package
- Package: short package name (Mage_Core_Modules)
- Min: minimum supported version of dependent package
- Max: maximum supported version of dependent package
- Recommended: downloader will try to use this version even if newer available
- Exclude: comma separated list of versions that are not supported
- Required: this dependency required for successful installation
- Optional: this package will be shown during installation as available option
- Conflicts: this package versions conflict with current package
Used when new release of current package was splitted into 2 or more packages.
In general no packages can share same files, but subpackages can contain files that were used in previous version of current package.
Fields: same as in packages
PHP/PECL extensions dependencies
- Extension: dropdown with currently installed PHP extensions
- Min, Max, Recommended, Exclude, Type: same as in packages
- Role: Location of the files to include
- Path: Path within the role (location)
- Type: File or Recursive Directory
- Include: Regular expression for file pattern to include (requires pattern delimiter, like ‘#’) - ex. #^Mage#
- Ignore: Regular expression for file pattern to ignore (requires pattern delimiter, like ‘#’)