Creating and Assigning Root Categories
In Magento, each “Store” uses a “Root Category” to provide category navigation by all of the “Store Views” in that “Store.” Follow these steps to create a new root category:
- Make sure you have “All Store Views” selected from the drop down menu in the top left corner of the page.
- Click the “(+) Add Root Category” button in the top left corner of the page.
- Since the name of Root Categories are never seen by customers, give it a name like “Root StoreName” that corresponds to the store you intend to use this Root Category.
- Set “Is Active” to “Yes”
- Set “Is Anchor” to “No”
- Click “(✓) Save Category”
- In System > Manage Stores, click the Store Name which will use the new Root Category.
- From the “Root Category” drop down, choose the Root Category you just created.
- Click “(✓) Save Store”
- Your Store should now use your new Root Category!
- In the event that you cannot see your new categories, go to ‘Cache Management’ and click ‘refresh’.
The first level of categories are used for the STORE ROOTS only, and are NOT shown in the top navigation.
Categories from the 2nd level and downward are shown in that store’s top navigation. If your categories do not show up in your store, they are most likely NOT correctly assigned to (subordinate to, underneath, etc.) the root category for the store.