Manual Upgrade using fresh install and original database
This is an old revision of the document!
The first heading will show up as page title.
This guideline will insure you have a stable version of your site installed with the newest version of Magento software. This upgrade procedure does not rely on Connect or FTP.
This is also the recommend procedure for upgrading from Magento CE to Magento EE.
This should be a complete list of items for upgrading the production database, rolling out the new codebase, and transferring DNS resolution to the new Magento instance.
- Identify and list modules to go to upgraded version
You may not need all you modules brought over and some modules will not be compatible in a newer version. Each one must be checked and tested.
- Identify theme components to transfer
- Identify external components that need to function with new version, review on Magento integration options (i.e. does it make sense to make the external app a Magento app or leave it as an external app)
- Tarball catalog and move to new CE site
- Export Live database to an SQL dump file (db-YY-MM-DD-pre.sql)
- Transfer db-YY-MM-DD-pre.sql to the dedicated database upgrade server and imported into the local MySQL instance
- Execute nohup php index.php > log-YY-MM-DD_1 &
- Let process run until finished
- Re-index site
- Export Upgraded database to an SQL dump file (db-YY-MM-DD-post.sql)
- Transfer db-YY-MM-DD-post.sql to the production machine and import into the local MySQL instance
- Correct Store Issues (Update so admin can login!)
- Execute necessary scripts
- Enter Admin panel and set the following configuration values:
- Themes and packages set to default
- Refresh cache and indexes
- Turn on “Display out of stock products” System>Configuration>Catalog>Inventory>Stock Options: Display out of Stock Products to “Yes”
- Update CMS Page and Static Blocks
- Set order number higher
- Switch the Apache vhost references to point to the new instance, disable the old instance
- Restart Apache
- Site is now live
If you have additional questions you can email Brent W Peterson email@example.com
— Brent W Peterson 2011/09/09 10:44