Working In Maintenance Mode
Maintenance mode can be used when your site is under construction, or when changes are being made. A special splash page appears to let visitors know that your site is undergoing maintenance. While working on your site, it is recommended that you block access to the store. It is better to alert customers that changes are being made, rather than risk disrupting their experience with technical difficulties. A “503 Service Unavailable" page alerts search engines that your site still exists, and prevents them from removing it from their index.
Maintenance Mode Options
To use Maintenance Mode:
- On the Admin menu, select System > Configuration.
- In the Configuration panel on the left, under General, select Maintenance Mode.
- Click to expand the Maintenance Mode Options section. Then, do the following:
- Set Enable Maintenance Mode to “Yes.”
- Set Maintenance Mode Page to “503 Service Unavailable.”
- In the Whitelist field, enter your IP address, so you can access your store while others are redirected to the “Service Unavailable” page.
- When complete, click the Save Config button.
|Enable Maintenance Mode||Set to “Yes” to take your store offline for maintenance mode. By default, Maintenance Mode is turned off. Important! Before enabling Maintenance Mode, be sure to enter at least one IP address (such as the Current IP address listed below) into the Whitelist, or you will not be able to access your store. Options include: Yes / No|
|Maintenance Mode Page||Select a page to show your customers while your store is offline in maintenance mode. The default is a “503 Service Unavailable” page, to let search engines know that your site still exists and prevents them from removing your site from their index.|
|Whitelist||Enter the IP addresses that you want to "whitelist," that is, to exempt from being redirected to the maintenance mode page.
To continue to have access to your store while you are working on it, copy your IP address below and paste it into this box. You can enter more than one IP address, separated by commas, if you want other IP addresses to have access to your store while it is in maintenance mode.
|Current IP||Your current IP address. Copy your IP address and paste it into the Whitelist box above, so that you can continue to work in your store while in maintenance mode.|