Attribute properties define the product fields in your catalog, and determine how they are used throughout your store. In addition to the basic properties, there are additional properties for Dropdown and Multiple Select input types, their values, and associated labels. The title, or label, identifies the attribute in the Admin panel, and storefront. If your store is available in multiple languages, you can enter a different translated label for each language supported.
Step 1: Define the Attribute Properties
- From the Admin panel, select Catalog > Attributes > Manage Attributes. Then, click the Add Attribute button.
- In the Attribute Properties section, complete the following required (*) properties:
- Enter a unique Attribute Code to identify the attribute internally. The code should be all lowercase characters without spaces.
- In the Apply To list, choose the product type(s) to be associated with attribute. To choose Selected Product Types, hold the Ctrl key down and click each applicable type.
- Complete the remaining Attribute Properties as needed.
- Set Scope to determine the range of influence this attribute has in relatoin to your store.
- Set Catalog Input Type for Store Owner to the type of input control used by the store admininistrator during data entry.
- If you want to avoid duplicate values in this field, set Unique Value to “Yes.”
- If you want to require that a value must be entered in the field, set Values Required to “Yes.”
- If you want to run a validity test of any entry made in the field, set Input Validation for Store Owner to the type of value the attribute should contain.
- In the Frontend Properties section, complete as many of the settings as needed.
Step 2: Define the Label and Values
- In the Attribute Information panel on the left, select Manage Label / Options. Then, do the following:
- In the Manage Titles section, under Admin, enter a descriptive label to identify the field during data entry.
- The next column determines how the label appears in your storefront. You can leave the box blank to use the Admin label as the default.
- If your store is available in multiple languages, enter a translated label into each box, as needed.
- For drop-down or multiple-select input types, do the following:
- In the Manage Options section, click the Add Option button.
- In the new row, under Admin, type the value as you want it to appear in your store’ Admin.
- Enter the value as you want it to appear to customers in your store. (Leave this blank to use the Admin value as the default.)
- If applicable, enter a translated value for each language supported.
- Enter a number to determine the Position of this value in relation to other options in the list.
- Select Is Default to automatically select this value.
Repeat these steps for each value you want to add to the list.
Manage Label / Options
- When complete, click the Save Attribute button.
The attribute appears in the Manage Attributes list, sorted in alphabetical order by Attribute Code. You can use the Page controls to view each page of the list.