Defining Attribute Properties
System > Attributes > Manage Attributes > New Product Attribute
With custom attributes, Magento Go enables you to add depth and description to your products. Attributes enable you to differentiate products based on their unique attributes, such as the megapixels of a digital camera, or disk space of a hard drive. Customers can use these attributes to compare products, filter catalog listings, and find specific products they’re searching for.
To create an attribute:
- From the Admin Panel, select Catalog > Attributes > Manage Attributes.
- Click Add New Attribute.
- In the Attribute Code field, type in a unique identifier for this attribute.
Note: The attribute code value can only include alphanumeric (A-Z, 0-9) and hyphens or underscores.
- From the Scope list, select Global to enable this attribute for products across all stores and websites.
- From the Catalog Input Type for Store Owner list, select the input type. See the table below for a description of available input types.
- In the Default Value field, specify the default value of this attribute. This field is optional.
- Select Yes or No from Unique Value to specify whether this attribute value must be unique for every product.
- From the Input Validation for Store Owner field, specify an input value check for this attribute.
Tip: If set to None, any type of value is acceptable. If set to letters or numbers, attribute values will be limited to only letters and numbers -- if any other character is typed in, it will display an error notification.
- From the Apply To list, select whether this attribute is available to all product types or just specific ones. If set to Selected Product Types, a list of product types will appear. Select the product types that can use this attribute.
Next steps: After you have defined attribute properties, define the frontend properties and configure the labels and options. Once you’ve done this for several attributes for your products, you can assign attributes to attribute sets.
|Catalog Input Type for Store Owner||Description|
|Text Field||A one-line input field that a user can enter text into. For example, an Attribute for Model type.|
|Text Area||Similar to a Text Field but offers the option to input more content in paragraph format versus on a single line.|
|Date||A date (for example, release date for CDs).|
|Yes/No||A check box that can be either selected or cleared.|
|Dropdown||A drop-down list with pre-selected values that you can define in Manage Label/Option tab.|
|Multiple Select||Similar to Dropdown input type but enables you to select more than one option.|
|Price||Enables you to add an attribute to define a pricing option that is not already available in Magento go by default. Price, Special Price, Tier Price and Cost are pre-defined price attributes.|
|Fixed Product Tax||If the country that you will be selling imposes fixed product tax (FPT), this attribute option enables you to define FPT based on country and state/province.
Note: You must enable the Fixed Product Tax in System Configuration. Go to System > Configuration. Click the Tax tab on left pane under Sales and expand the Fixed Product Taxes bar by clicking it. Select Yes to enable FPT.