Customizing Category Page Design
The Custom Design tab enables you to control the look and feel of the category and all assigned product pages, including the content blocks and template layout. Customizing category pages and assigned products helps you promote selected products and categories to increase sales. Customizing category pages and assigned products enables you to differentiate selected products and categories. For example, you can develop specific designs for brands or a special line of products in order to increase sales.
To customize a category page, do the following:
- If the parent category of this category has already been customized and you want to use same settings, select Yes for Use Parent Category Settings.
- Customization of the category is only reflected on the categories page. If you want the custom settings applied to all the products assigned to this category, select Yes for Apply to Products.
- If you want to further define the look of the category page, click the Custom Theme drop down menu and select a predesigned theme.
- If you want to apply the changes at specific time, specify the dates for Active From and Active To by clicking the calendar icon. If you do not define the start and end dates, your changes will be live upon saving.
- You can further change the layout of the category page by selecting one of the default layouts in Page Layout.
- No Layout Update This option is preselected by default and will not apply any layout changes.
- Empty You can define your own design template (for example, a 4-column layout) by choosing this field.
- 1 column The content area will extend to the full width of your store as one column.
- 2 column with left bar The content area will be divided into two columns with the left column set at a smaller width for displaying content blocks.
- 2 column with right bar The content area will be divided into two columns with the right column set at a smaller width for displaying content blocks.
- 3 columns Left and Right columns will be set at same small width for displaying content blocks. The middle section is for main content.
- If you did not select one of the Page Layout options, you can skip the Custom Layout Update. Otherwise, you can further customize the theme with XML.