Creating and Configuring a Category
This article explains how to creeate and configure categories for your Magento Go store. Categories are used to organize products into logical groups, so your customers can easily find them.
To create a new category, do the following:
- In the Admin panel, select Catalog > Manage Categories to open the Categories page.
- To add a new root (top-level) category, click Add Root Category. To add a subcategory, click on the category name in which you want to make a subcategory, and then click Add Subcategory.
NOTE: âDefault Categoryâ is the root of your storeâs catalog. All of your catalog categories must be subcategories of âDefault Categoryâ in order to be visible in your store.
- In the main pane, in the General Information tab, enter they key information for this category.
- Enter information in the required fields:
Name - The name that you specify here will be referenced in the navigation menu bar on your front-end.
Is Active - Select Yes to make this category and all âactiveâ subcategories active.
Include in Navigation Menu - Select Yes make this category show up in your storeâs top navigation menu â otherwise, it will be hidden but still be searchable.
- The URL Key field is designed to improve your search engine optimization (SEO) ranking. By default, a URL Key is automatically generated based on the category name. You can overwrite this field for better SEO management. Other key fields for better SEO management include the Page Title, Meta Description, and Meta Keywords fields.
- You can upload a default image for this category to be displayed on your storeâs front-end when a customer clicks the category menu. This image will be displayed on top of the product list of this category.
- Click [ Save Category ] to save your changes.
- Repeat steps 2-8 above to add more categories to your web store.
After you set up a category, you can use the other tabs on the Create Category page to do the following:
- Specify display settings
- Customize the category page design
- Assign products to the category
Tip: If you want to limit how many levels show up in your top navigation, in the Admin Panel, go to System > Configuration > Catalog to open the Configuration page, then select Category> Category Top Navigation. In the Maximum Depth field, set the number of levels of categories. For unlimited subcategories, specify 0 (zero).
NOTE: Disabled Categories appear in gray type.