Creating a Banner Rotator
As a frontend app, the rotator can be assigned to a specific page, product, or category, and placed most anywhere in your store. In addition, a banner rotator can be used as a related banner that is associated with a specific shopping cart or catalog rule.
To add a standard banner rotator to your store, follow the steps below:
Step 1: Create the Individual Banners
Create the individual banners that you want to include in the rotator.
Step 2: Create a Frontend App
Complete the first three steps for creating a frontend app.
- Choose "Banner Rotator" as the type of app.
- Specify the page and location where it belongs (see Banner Layout Update Options).
- Choose the template you want to use.
Step 3: Configure the Banner Rotator
- If necessary, select CMS > Frontend Apps, and click to open the banner rotator that you created in the previous step.
- In the left panel, click Frontend App Options to configure the banner. Then, do the following:
- Set Banners to Display to âSpecified Banners.â
- (Optional) To limit the banner to a certain section of the store, set Restrict by Banner Types to the section where you want it to appear.
- In the Rotation Mode list, select one of the following:
- Do not rotate, display all at once
- One at a time, Random
- One at a time, Series
- One at a time, Shuffle
- In the Specify Banners section, click the Reset Filter button to list all the available banners. You can also use the search filters to find the banners you want to include.
- Select the checkbox of each banner you want to include in the rotator.
- To set the sequence of each banner in relation to the others, enter a number in the Position column. If you wan the banner to appear in the first position, enter the number 1.
Banner Layout Update Options
|Display on Categories||Determines the categories where the banner rotator appears.
Anchor Categories: Appears only on anchored category pages, which are category pages that are shown in the layered navigation.
Non-Anchor Categories: Appears only on non-anchored category pages, which are category pages that are not shown in the layered navigation.
Products: Displays the banner rotator for a specific product or type of product. Options include:
All Product Types Simple Product Grouped Product Configurable Product Bundle Product Virtual Product Gift Card
|Categories||Displays the banner rotator for only the categories selected.|
|Block Reference||Assigns the banner rotator to a specific location by reference. Options include:
Main Content Area
My Cart Extra Actions
Page Footer Before
Page Footer Bottom
Banner Block Template
Banner Inline Template
|Banners to Display||Options include:
Shopping Cart Promotions Related
Catalog Promotions related
|Restrict by Banner Types||Limits the banner to a certain section:
|Rotation Mode||Select the rotation mode for the banners. Options include:
Do not rotate: Display one banner after the other in a stack where all are visible.
One at a time, Random: Displays the banners that you specify in a randomly generated order. Every time the page is refreshed, a different banner appears.
One at a time, Series: Displays the banners that you specify by the order of their position every time the page is refreshed.
One at a time, Shuffle: Displays one banner at a time in a shuffled position order. This option is similar to the One at a time, Random option, except that the same banner does not repeat back-to-back (unless you only have one banner).
|Specify Banners||Select the banners to include from the list of available banners.|