Configuring the State/Province Field
The State/Province field is a required part of the address in many countries. The information is used to enter shipping and billing information, to calculate tax rates, and so on. For countries where the State/Province is not required, the field can be omitted entirely from the address, or included as an optional field.
Because standard address formats vary from one country to another, you can also edit the address template that controls how the information appears on documents such as invoices and packing slips. To configure the address templates, go to: System > Configuration > Customers > Customer Configuration > Address Templates.
To configure the State/Province field:
- From the Admin panel, select System > Configuration.
- In the Configuration panel on the left, under General, select General.
- Click to expand the States Options setting, and do the following:
- In the State is required for list, select all the countries where you want the State/Province to be required.
Tip: To select multiple countries, hold down the Ctrl key and click the name of each country.
- For countries where the State /Province is not required, set Display not required State to one of the following:
Yes Includes the State/Province in all addresses, even if not required. No Omits the State/Province from the address in countries where the information is not required.