Configuring Product Promotions - Up-Sells
When you build your Magento store, it is a good idea to consider the promotional options available for you. One such feature is the product up-selling option.
When a customer views a product, the up-sells for the product are items that your customer might consider purchasing instead of the product that is being viewed. Up-sell products may be of higher quality, more expensive, include more features, or more popular.
The up-sells for a product are shown on that product’s information page; visible in the section headed “You may also be interested in the following product(s).” Below are up-sell examples for an inexpensive Camera.
How to add up-sells to a product
- In the Admin Panel, select Catalog > Manage Products.
- From the Manage Products page, select the product you wish to configure up-sells for by clicking its respective row (this will take you to the Product Management page).
- Select the Up-sells tab from the left side panel.
- From the Up-sells page, select items to associate as up-sell products. Begin by click Reset Filter to clear search filters and display all products.
- Next, select one of the two methods:
1st method, you can go through the list of products and checkbox each item you want to include as an up-sell for this product.
2nd method, you can use filters to sift through the catalog for items with certain attributes.
Product: Winter jacket - $40
Up-sell products: We want to include all other winter jackets that cost at least $40
How we’d do it: If Winter Jackets is an Attribute Set, select it from the “Attrib. Set Name” column in the drop-down menu. In the Price column, set From to $40. Click “Search” at the top right.
As the example above shows, you can do a filtered search of the products based on many different attributes. Once the results are refined, you can select the first checkbox from the top of the first column to select all products in the list.
- Once up-sell products are selected, click Save at the top right of the page. Clear your cache and refresh the product information page to assure that it’s working to your satisfaction.
Up-selling is a great way to add value to your store and increase sales numbers. In addition to this, Magento also allows you to create Related Products and Cross-Selling Products.