Configurable Product: Step 1 - Create the Dropdown Attributes
Each option, or variant, in a drop-down list is based on an attribute that is set up in advance. A separate attribute is created for each product variation, and contains the selection of options that appears in the drop-down list. This article describes the first step required to create a configurable product for your Magento Go store.
Because attributes exist separately from the product record, they can be shared by other products and product types. For example, if your store already has a “drop-down” attribute for Color, you donât need to create another one. All you need to do is update the existing attribute with the colors you need, so they will be available as options. So, if you have a large catalog with many items that share common attributes, this can represent a significant time savings.
- From the Admin panel, select Catalog > Attributes > Manage Attributes. Then, click the Add New button.
- In the Attribute Properties section, do the following:
- Assign a unique Attribute Code, using lowercase characters with underscores instead of spaces. (This code is for internal use only.)
- Set Scope to “Global.”
- Set Catalog Input Type for Store Owner to “Dropdown.”
- Set Values Required to “Yes.”
- Set the Apply To list to “Select Product Types,” Then in the list, select “Simple Product.”
- Set Use to Create Configurable Product to “Yes.”
Attribute Properties for Configurable Product
- In the Attribute Information panel on the left, select Manage Label / Options.
- In the Manage Titles section under Admin, enter a label for the drop-down list. By default, the same label is used in the Admin panel and store.
If you want to use a different label in the store, or if your store is available in multiple languages, enter the appropriate label for each.
Manage Labels / Options: Manage Titles
- In the Manage Options section, click the Add Option button. Then, do the following:
- In the text field under Admin, type the first value you want to appear in the list. By default, the same value is used in the Admin panel and store.
- If your store is available in multiple languages, enter the translation of the value in the appropriate text box.
- To assign a default value for the drop-down list, select Is Default to identify the option you want to use as the initial value.
- To change the order in which the options appear in the drop-down list, enter a number in the Position column to set the position of each option in relation to the others.
Manage Labels / Options: Manage Options
- When complete, click the Save Attribute button.