Changing the Store Language
Text that appears to be “hard-coded” on pages throughout your store can be instantly changed to a different language by changing the locale of the view. Changing the locale doesnât actually translate the text word-for-word, but simply references a different translation table that provides the text used throughout the store. The interface text that is changed includes titles, navigation, labels, buttons, and links such as “My Cart” and “My Account.”
After changing the locale, you must still translate the product descriptions and categories in your catalog, as well as any CMSÂ pages, blocks, banners, and polls that you have created.
To change the store locale:
- On the Admin menu, select System > Configuration.
- In the upper-left corner, set Current Configuration Scope to the store view to be translated.
- On the General configuration page, click to expand the Locale Options section. Then, do the following:
- Set Locale to the new language for the store view.
- When complete, click the Save button.
After changing the locale, you can use the Theme Text Editor to make “spot changes” to any text in the interface.