Setting Up Admin Users and Roles in Magento CE 1.8 and EE 1.13
Table of Contents
Note:This article provides information about how to set up tax calculations in Magento Community Edition (CE) and Enterprise Edition (EE). The information is based on CE 1.8 and EE 1.13; some options here might not apply to earlier versions.
If you need to provide access to the Admin area of your store to multiple people, you add each person as a user, with their own user name and password. You then assign each user to a role, and you assign permissions to the role.
Different roles can be created for different types of users. For example, if you hire a designer for your store, you create a role of Designer. By assigning a user to that role, that user can be given access to all design features but restricted from accessing the customer and sales features.
Important: If you do not assign a role to a user, the user will not be able to access the Admin panel.
Step 1: Add a User Role
- From the Admin panel, select System > Permissions > Roles.
- Click the Add New Role button.
- In the Role information area, enter a Role Name.
- On the left panel, click the Role Resources tab.
- Use the dropdowns in the Role Scopes and Role Resources areas to provide access for this user role.
- Click Save Role.
Step 2: Add a User
- From the Admin panel, select System > Permissions > Users.
- Click the Add New User button.
- In the User Info area, fill in all fields for Account Information.
- Set the account status to Active to enable access to the user.
- Click the User Role tab on the left panel and assign this user to a predefined role.
- Click Save User.