Adding Page Links in the Navigation Bar
The navigation in the header of a Magento Go store usually lists the top-level categories from the catalog. This article explains how to include links to CMS pages in the top navigation.
Step 1: Create a Subcategory
To add page links to the top navigation:
- From the Admin panel, select Catalog > Manage Categories.
- On the Categories Management page, click Add Subcategory. Then, do the following:
- Enter a Name for the link.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the form, and set Is Active to “Yes.”
- Set Include in Navigation Menu to “Yes.”
- In the URL Key field, type the name of your page link in lowercase letters with hyphens instead of spaces. (For example, About Our Company becomes about-our-company.)
- In the upper-right, click the Save Category button.
Step 2: Create a Redirect
- From the Admin panel, select Catalog > URL Rewrite Management.
- In the text box at the top of the Request Path column, type the URL key for the subcategory, and click Search. When the the subcategory appears, click to open the record.
- To save the Target Path value, do one of the following:
- Copy the Target Path to the clipboard.
- Write down the Target Path.
- Set Redirect to “Permanent (301),” and click Save.
- In the upper-right corner of the URL Rewrite Management page, click the Add URL Rewrite button, and do the following:
- In the Create URL Rewrite list, select Custom. A form appears in the lower part of the page.
- In the ID Path text field, type the URL key of the page link in lowercase, using hyphens instead of spaces. (For example, about-our-company.)
- In the Request Path, either paste or type the Target Path value that you previously recorded.
- In the Target Path field, type the URL for the page link.
- Set Redirect to “Permanent (301).”
- Click Save.
To confirm the change, visit the Home page of your store, and click the link to verify that it goes to the correct page.