Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

5 product lines - Should I set up websites, stores or store groups?

In2it

Total Posts:  8

I am unsure whether I should be setting up websites, stores or store groups for my product lines.

I have 5 product lines from 5 suppliers.  I want to have one wholesale website (url) for each product line.  Then I was going to set up a mega site with all five product lines because I have (wholesale) clients that would want to buy from each line and not have to go to each site to buy.  Finally I want to have one retail website (url) for each product line and one mega site that contains all the product lines.  The Product lines do share most of the categories/attributes.

This thread was helpful and yet confusing....
http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/3613/http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/3613/

In the thread above…
In Magento we have what we call store 0. This store has all products and has the default values for the products attribute. The idea for this is that a product can exist in the system without belonging to any website/store for sometime and still be available for future use. Without store 0 this product would have had to be deleted and the default values would be lost. So each specific website would pull it’s products from this base and the base store would be the mega website?

But then the thread says:
So for the scenario above one way (there might be other ways of achieving this since Magento is so flexible) of setting this up is to have one website (since you wanted customers to share accounts, shopping cart and session information). Then to create two store groups for Blue and Purple (or 3 with Green as another group). Each group will have two store views under it one for English and one for French. The URL’s for each store can be different.

Would this be another way to combine the shopping experience for customers without have a big mega site?  So you could shop at “store 1” then somehow switch to “store 2” and purchase a few items there, etc. and finally check out with all the items from various stores in one cart? 

So what is the best way to set it up?  (I don’t need 2 language stores for each site)

Base wholesale website (one store) with all product lines; and 5 websites (one store) for each product line.
Base retail website (one store) with all product lines; and 5 websites (one store) for each product line.

one Wholesale Website with 5 stores (or store groups?) where each store holds a specific product line
one Retail Website with 5 stores (or store groups?) where each store holds a specific product line

And is there anything else I should consider?

Thank you!!!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

In2it

Total Posts:  8

Does <i>anyone</i> have any advice about how I should set up my product lines - in stores or websites?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community