Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Dynamic Base Currency

regispatuto

Total Posts:  21

I have a multi-currency store and would like to send to PayPalUK the local currency so that it processes it in the local currency.  That is if on the USD store the transaction is made in dollars, while in the EURO store the transaction is made in Euros. 

In looking through the forums I have to change the price scope to website in order to do this, since Magento handles the transactions in the default currency unless otherwise specified.  I can’t figure out where to do this though.  Anyone done this before?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

rick_kid

Total Posts:  4

I think it is an error in magento...on the admin site under currency setup there is : Base currency (Currency will be used for all online payment transactions)

So I think your question is how can you make the Base Currency for the website get passed in the transaction?  I don’t know how to do this, does anyone

Magento Community
Magento Community

regispatuto

Total Posts:  21

Wow, yes that is right.  That is what I want a Dynamic Base Currency… Anyone help?

Magento Community
Magento Community

oxygen

Total Posts:  69

hi Everyone,

Yes, I would like to have this feature also. I hope someone could help.

Scenario is, if my base currency is USD, and I allow shoppers to browse my store in HKD (in addition to USD), and subsequently he/she makes a purchase (the order is priced in HKD) via PayPal. His credit card statement will show the purchase in USD! This can be inconvenience to the shopper.

Since PayPal now accepts multiple currencies (18 currencies in total, see https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/sell/mc/mc_intro-outside), then Magento should have this feature by sending the preferred currency (one of the 18) to PayPal. This way the shopper is charged in his preferred currency.

I hope some one could come out a solution.

Thank you very much.

Magento Community
Magento Community

oxygen

Total Posts:  69

Just to add…

Magento currently uses base currency for payment transaction, see Currency Configuration at http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/welcome_to_the_magento_user_s_guide/chapter_4, in which it says about Base Currency:

“While you can allow multiple currencies in which to display your product prices, this is the currency that will be used for payment transactions with online payment gateways.”

Could someone help to enhance the code so that Magento could use the shopper’s preferred currency (which has to be one of the 18 currencies accepted by PayPal) in the payment transaction?

Your help is very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Magento Community
Magento Community

OurWorldTalks

Total Posts:  60

I’m also requesting for this feature. Especially for international users of Magento, it helps to cater to both the International and Home market.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Smashed4

Total Posts:  1

+1 for this feature request.

Would definitely be a must have feature for any store that needs to cater to both a local and foreign market.

I am setupping a canadian store that need to sell (and process payments) in CAD for canadians and in USD for international buyers. Magento seemed a good choice, advertising a “Mutli-currency support” feature, but it is *not* a true multi-currency, since it is mostly only a “Display in multiple currency, charge in ONE currency”.. False advertising is common for a commercial product, but for an open-source one? Come on, we don’t need that.

Magento Community
Magento Community

OurWorldTalks

Total Posts:  60

Hi all, for those who are looking for a solution, see http://www.magentocommerce.com/bug-tracking/issue?issue=2091

Magento Community
Magento Community

babubabu9

Total Posts:  1

From the link http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/welcome_to_the_magento_user_s_guide/chapter_4

Base currency - This is the currency against which all other allowed currencies will be configured, based on the ratios established in the Manage Currency page (covered below). You can establish different Base Currencies per website (so long as the Catalog Price Scope in the Catalog tab is set to Website). Each website level Base Currency will have its own row in the Manage Currency page. While you can allow multiple currencies in which to display your product prices, this is the currency that will be used for payment transactions with online payment gateways (this is only if you have enabled one or more online payment methods in your Payment Methods configuration; there is more about this later in the chapter).

Magento Community
Magento Community

J_T_
Mentor

Total Posts:  1961
London-ish, UK

+1 for this request. I’d also like to capture in Euro as well as GBP.

Magento Community
Magento Community

hoopempire

Total Posts:  17

+1 again for this. I’ve got a multi-currency merchant facility setup, but no way to simply process payments in the user selected currency…

Magento Community
Magento Community

F.L.

Total Posts:  31

+1 for this request!

Magento Community
Magento Community

MUSN

Total Posts:  10

+1 request

Really important!

Magento Community
Magento Community

roblesrt

Total Posts:  19

+1 count me in

Really need this feature!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Roy Andre

Total Posts:  209

Folks, this works already. Here’s what you need to do:

1. Change Price Scope to Website under System -> Settings -> Catalog
2. Go to the Website (not StoreView) level of your other site. Under Currency Setup dont use the default Base Currency but select the one you would like to use instead for that particular Website. This new currency will now also be used with payment (at least it does with the Payment integration we’ve developed towards CyberSource)

Note that this works ONLY on Website level.

Magento Community
Magento Community

miaoux

Total Posts:  9

It doesn’t appear to let you do that in the community version?
I get a Base Currency option at the Default Config level, but not at the level below (website).
I’ve set up a secondary:  website ~ Store ~ store view to test this, but no joy.

Did this used to work?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2