Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Do your Sub-Category Images or Static Blocks show? 

NickL

Total Posts:  188

Wierd Issue here… I’ve noticed that 3rd Level SubCategory Static Blocks and Images are not showing.

By 3rd Level I mean Root / Category / Category, i.e Root - > Shoes -> Athletic. 

When I try to set an image for this category via Category Admin.. it doesn’t show in the browser. The corresponding list.phtml has the code for output, but is there some restriction into subcats?

It’s the same for static blocks… they won’t show either. Any ideas?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Michael_1
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  826

Hi Nick,
The image is shown in ‘Products only’ category listing mode only. In other modes it uses static block instead.
If you want to show the image anyway you can include it in static block directly.

Magento Community
Magento Community

NickL

Hey Michael,
Thanks for your reply.  Oddly though, I’ve tried it in BOTH modes and it still only shows the TOP-LEVEL Image. For Example, If the “Sneakers” subcategory is nested underneath “Athletics”, then it shows the image for “Atheletics (TopLevel) “ in place for the subcategory images.

I’ve checked the code in VIEW.phtml and it reads as follows:

<?if($this->isContentMode()):?>
    <?
=$this->getCmsBlockHtml()?>
<?elseif
($this->isMixedMode()):?>

<?
=$this->getCmsBlockHtml()?>
    <?
=$this->getProductListHtml()?>

<?else
:?>

<?if
($_imageUrl=$this->getCurrentCategory()->getImageUrl()):?>

So I can see that it’s checking for a Static Block.  Oddly, it’s not showing though. It’s as if it doesn’t realize theres nested categories with individual Static Blocks or Images?  I haven’t tried this on a clean CLEAN install. .But my view.phtml is pretty much default.  Any ideas?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

@NickL: is Athletics an Anchor category?

Magento Community
Magento Community

NickL

@Moshe.  Yes “Athletics” is an Anchor Category.

It’s the Top Level Cat.  Underneath Athletics there is Sneakers / Apparel / & Equipment .  But each of these categories only show the image from “Athletics”.  You know what I mean?

Magento Community
Magento Community

NickL

Awww I see. So When you set the Top Level to “Anchor” it prevents sub cat images from showing and uses the Top Level Image, no?  Ok.. i think I got it from here.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community