Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Forum is a Disgrace These Days

brendanb
Mentor

Total Posts:  1093
London, United Kingdom

Hi,

I just want to point out that for a company which is worth $$$,$$$,$$ the state of these forums are a complete disgrace. There is spam littered throughout every area of these forums. I can see spam going back at least a week or more.

What sort of an image does this reflect on magento when a user/developer is trying to get some assistance on a topic. All I see is a complete load of crap.

Does anyone in any level of management at magento/ebay care at all for how this looks?.

For all the lovely blog posts spinning how great magento is, how about looking in your own backyard and doing some work on the forums here.?

What started out as a great resource for the community is now just a spammers paradise

Brendan

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

northfork

Total Posts:  3
Montana

Whenever I am evaluating a software package for work or a client, I always look at the forums to gauge the health of the platform and its ecosystem.

Software community forums are such an essential resource for tech support, bug fixes, ideas, updates, announcements and criticism. If the forums aren’t healthy and active I usually consider the software package unsuitable for use in a serious business. If the forums are bad it tells me that the developers don’t have their act together. I’m not likely to invest my time, client hours in integrating a platform that is going to be trouble.

Do enterprise customers have a different set of forums? What do enterprise customer developers use? Not these same forums, surely.

Magento Community
Magento Community

sdom

Total Posts:  10

Enterprise customers / developers do use these same forums. It is surely frustrating to have such a cluttered and inactive space to work with.

Magento Community
Magento Community

brendanb
Mentor

Total Posts:  1093
London, United Kingdom

Hi,

thanks for the responses. Just to confirm, as being a developer with access to the enterprise version in the past, there is no “special” forums available.

It really has become a graveyard of crud in the last year.

I fully agree, whenever I’m evaluating any software, I do check the forums for activity and relevance. If there is very sparse activity I generally walk away. If it full of spam, I walk away.

Its such a shame things have come to this. I used to be quite an active member of the magento forums, but now I rarely visit.
Search is, and has been broken / inadequate since inception. The constant spam, should be an easy fix, however there is no loner any moderators around to review this issue.

I get the impression, magento’s (ebay’s) lack of oversight in resolving these issues just sums up there concern for developers, be it community or enterprise. They just don’t care. If they did care, they would’nt let their own forums turn into this.

Their eye is on selling “the” software… supporting via these forums is a low priority.

Magento Community
Magento Community

willwright_bh

Total Posts:  5
Harrogate

It used to be such a helpful tool, now its just too hard to find anything! :(

Magento Community
Magento Community

MrBaseball34

Total Posts:  164

I’ve noticed the same thing. They really do not care about these forums and looks to me to have never cared about them.
The Advanced Search functionality has been broken for over 2 years. From the looks of the metrics, there are more unanswered topics that actual posts. You can’t find any administrator or moderator at all, either..

I would say that the reputation of eBay is on the line here and if they don’t care, I’m not going to recommend Magento to anyone.

Magento Community
Magento Community

crabjack

Total Posts:  27

It’s like this with my store’s reviews. Every few days I have to delete 1000 bogus reviews from the likes of Louis Vuitton, tory burch, nike, etc. I have a business concept for some enterprising individual: track down the people that do this and put a bullet in their heads. Is the anything else we can do in the meantime to keep things clean and allow legitimate customers to review our products?

Magento Community
Magento Community

MrBaseball34

Total Posts:  164

crabjack - 13 May 2014 06:44 PM

It’s like this with my store’s reviews. Every few days I have to delete 1000 bogus reviews from the likes of Louis Vuitton, tory burch, nike, etc. I have a business concept for some enterprising individual: track down the people that do this and put a bullet in their heads. Is the anything else we can do in the meantime to keep things clean and allow legitimate customers to review our products?

Try this extension:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/magento-connect/et-review-notify.html

Magento Community
Magento Community

crabjack

Total Posts:  27

Thank you MrBaseball. I will definitely look at this....

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community