Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Poll
Which CMS System Would You Want A Magento Component Integration?
Joomla 155
Word Press 71
Drupal 141
ALL THREE 64
Total Votes: 431
You must be a logged-in member to vote
Joomla /WordPress/ Drupal Integration - TOP PRIORITY

Darren Grant

Total Posts:  84

You missed an option in your Poll

NONE OF THE ABOVE.

I would much rather the Magento team work on making the best possible shopping system than waste time integrating with a CMS.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Ben at Keeward

Total Posts:  18
Paris, France

schmelzgeist - 24 July 2008 01:21 PM

I would prefer Digitalus, since it is based on Zend Framework

+1

Magento Community
Magento Community

ccshannon

Total Posts:  1

While I agree that development of Magento’s ecommerce features should take priority over CMS integration, I disagree strongly such a long-term goal would be a “waste of time”.

Customers, the people who pay us for our hard work, want to build communities, as well as sell products. To not be able to seamlessly integrate with a CMS would force Magento into the vast pool of standalone shopping cart platforms. CMS integration would make it stand out above all others, which in turn would lead to larger development resources and a better application with a long future.

Webmasters should only have to update templates, js, and CSS in one place, using one theming system. With more sites including articles, galleries, video, podcasts, store, blogs, forums - all in one place - the need for streamlined, efficient maintenance from a central application has never been greater. Joomla and Drupal have a lot of potential as solutions, as they are not just CMSes, they are APIs.

Editors (the users who have to update content on the site after you, the developer, have handed them the keys) should only have to update site content, store information, etc, through one UI.

Users should be given the most straightforward web experience possible, with the fewest clicks between homepage and purchase, and only one user account.

CMS integration is extremely valuable.

If I can offer my client a POS cash register (e.g. Quickbooks POS), eCommerce (Magento) and CMS/Blog/News/Press Release/Community (Drupal, Joomla, Wordpress, phpBB, etc) and have them all “work together” I will have a happier customer than one who has to update inventory separately on the web, use a different login for updating press releases than the one for logging into the online store, etc.

I am sure there are customers who “just need a store that does what it’s supposed to” and that should definitely be top priority at all times. CMS integration should not be too far down the list, though. The customers I deal with want it all and they want it now, apologies to Queen.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mikeyao

Total Posts:  17

I don’t think so all these systems will work together well at the moment. They are developed indepentently. It need to join hands and communicate between communities.

Magento Community
Magento Community

zmove
Guru

Total Posts:  317

An integration of a CMS in magento or magento in a CMS would be a very valuable feature, as explained above.

But instead of working on a very complex integration like that, maybe this is more simple to work on the creation of custom content INSIDE magento.

I’m new to magento, I don’t know the API yet etc… so I don’t know if it’s doable, but magento seems pretty extensible.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jajaklar82

Total Posts:  5

I would be already quite happy about a single sign on

Magento Community
Magento Community

hwevers

Total Posts:  4

JFusion 1.1.0 Beta has been released. Now get full control over integrating multiple softwares at the same time, with the new master/slave capabilities. In this version you can also link multiple Joomla installations. JFusion is a free GPL plugin for the award winning Content Management System (CMS) Joomla. JFusion provides universal user integration, by extending the Joomla 1.5 user authentication framework without any core hacks. JFusion does not support every software out-of-the-box, but is designed for people to easily write a plugin to create a bridge, without re-inventing the wheel. Currently supported softwares are: vBulletin 3.7.2, phpBB3, MyBB 1.4, IPB, SMF 1.1.4 and punBB. Automatic dual login is now supported for vbulletin, myBB, IPB, magento and phpBB3!!! NO support for Joomla 1.0.x, as this plugin is dependent on the beautiful Joomla 1.5 framework. A “latest post” type forum activity module is also included this release

Magento Community
Magento Community

RobOrr

Total Posts:  218

Mike123 - 04 September 2008 04:02 PM

gsbe - 14 July 2008 08:13 PM
I come (in peace) from the Joomla community.

2) Popularity always wins the longevity contest in the technology sphere. We have all witnessed (many over and over) a far superior application falling out of favor with the masses simply because it can’t attract long-term users.

Nice to see this post. Was a little surprised at the views against Joomla integration. Not that those folks aren’t fully entitled to their views. I just think the whole point of CMS is getting misunderstood.

Content Management System. It’s all about content and content is important. The enourmous growth in popularity of CMS shows that this is the future. Users wil want more than ‘just’ an e-commerce system, however good that system is. Zen Cart, in my opinion, missed the chance of being an integrated system and needed to create a complex (to use) paging system for non-shop pages. It seems the trends are that most people do want forums, blogs, a variety of articles as part of their online shopping site. If Virtuemart had the shopping functionality of Zen Cart, I wouldn’t be here!!

Where Virtuemart has an enourmous advantage over OsCommerce (and related) sites is that it can look like anything you want. Not just about Joomla templating, but the shop can be a large of small part of any page. Other content can take a priority if that is what a seller wants. I really do think the days of full-on shopping sites, with an about us and contact page, and various modules telling us the best sellers, are coming to an end. I see people wanting to be more involved than that.  I see CMS becoming the base of most websites.

I whole-heartedly agree with this line of thought.  I understand why some folks want to keep things separate.  I just think that having the flexibility of adding a strong CMS component to Magento would certainly not hurt.  As an example I’m currently developing a site for a customer that wants to be able to offer a portion of the site that will extend the concept of the blog-integration with wordpress, and implement message boards, product video demos, product instructions, blogs, articles and more.  The concept of a community around this store is a huge factor, as they have few employees, but huge sales volume and want to add interactivity as a method for customer service.  Unless I’ve missed something, magento currently does not have such functionality and I’m in the process of implementing drupal 6 to handle this.

Magento Community
Magento Community

J_T_
Mentor

Total Posts:  1961
London-ish, UK

@ Robb Why not use Ning for the community based stuff, saves them on having to run updates or hosting it too. Ning will take your shop’s feeds and your shop can easily take you social network’s feeds so they look more integrated. Looks can be made the same too.

Magento Community
Magento Community

RobOrr

Total Posts:  218

Thanks for the input - I’ll have to look in to that, but we want to have as much control over the app as we can and I think that a side-by-side drupal installation will do the trick.  We will be using it for more than just the front-end functionality but will be using it for intra-net/back office functionalities as well. It would be nice to have Drupal totally integrated, but we’ll make this work for the time being.

Magento Community
Magento Community

MohanKumar

Total Posts:  5

Anybody working on integration of drupal cms with magento.

Magento Community
Magento Community

sharelayout08

Thanks for sharing.

Joomla template

Magento Community
Magento Community

benz001

Total Posts:  238
Sydney

I love the idea of Digitalus, or more accurately, of a CMS based on ZF on the same install as Magento so that you could integrate the two more easily - but unfortunately the Magento Zend library has been slightly tweaked and is several releases behind the current ZF cycle.

So if you install both you’ll either need to rewrite one of them or install two copies of ZF to get the right versions to the right app and then try not to clash libraries during your integration coding....sigh...back to wordpress again.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Cawe

Total Posts:  109

So, how it this going, there is a decent integration with joomla or wordpress or drupal?

Preferencely free?

Magento Community
Magento Community

BlueRod

Benjamin Bellamy - 27 October 2008 07:16 AM

schmelzgeist - 24 July 2008 01:21 PM

I would prefer Digitalus, since it is based on Zend Framework

+1

Absolutely, I am up for a Digitalus, it is based on Zend Framework and it is amazingly flexible and powerful.
It requires good knowledge of Zend framework, but that is the future of web development anyway.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community