Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 5
Poll
Which CMS System Would You Want A Magento Component Integration?
Joomla 155
Word Press 71
Drupal 141
ALL THREE 64
Total Votes: 431
You must be a logged-in member to vote
Joomla /WordPress/ Drupal Integration - TOP PRIORITY

TomC

Total Posts:  191

Now that Magento has been released in it’s stable form, a TOP PRIORITY for the Development Team should be to work diligently on developing a clean component integration of Magento with the major/most popular Content Management Systems out there - namely Joomla, WordPress and Drupal.

The user base for these three CMS is, literally, within in the millions.  Imagine the wide open market that Magento will be opening itself up to when it finally realizes a stable/clean integration package for these CMS packages.

I know this is even more so for WordPress - but as a Joomla user, I can attest to the fact that there are thousands upon thousands of Joomla CMS users (on all levels), as well as dozens of third-party extension developers and high quality Temnplate Clubs.  As one of the most common “complaints” I have seen is the difficulty of modifying/customizing within the Magento template system, imagine how many new users could/would flock to Magento with a ready-to-go component integration package for a CMS that millions are already accustomed to working with. (I can almost guarantee you that VirtueMart will be blown out of the water).

Not only this, but you would very likely see a spark of energy amongst the Extension Developers and Template Clubs themselves toward developing products that work with Magento - be they new/exciting extensions, templates, modules, etc.

-

Greater market compatibility = greater exposure = larger customer /community base = opportunity for increased revenue via vendor adversitement, support plans, vendor/affiliate agreements, etc.

-

So, to the Magento Development Team - you have your product, and it’s a FANTASTIC product.  It’s now time to take it to the next level and exponentially increase Magento’s user/community base by concentrating your efforts on development of a Magento component integration system with Joomla, WordPress and Drupal. 
(Since I’m biased, start with Joomla)
wink

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

neximuss

Total Posts:  3

I’m just wondering that there isn’t any easy connect tool for Joomla. It should be done very fast, I saw on the Joomla official form many questions about that.

Magento Community
Magento Community

karynn

Total Posts:  70

WordPress! Pretty pleeeeeeeease!  cheese

Magento Community
Magento Community

Total Posts:  10
Bratislava, Slovakia

There is a project of Joomla / Magento integration through JFusion. Marius, the JFusion developer is working on that and it should be finished by June 19.  Visit http://www.jfusion.org for more info.

(edited for solicitation)

Magento Community
Magento Community

TomC

Yes, but is this a Magento component integration to where one can use a Joomla based template and install Magento into it (as one can currently do with VirtueMart)?  Or, it is an integration that will merely bridge user data information between a Magento site and a Joomla site?

Magento Community
Magento Community

TomC

At 157 views (thus far), I wonder if any of the Varien Team have read this thread.

hmmm

Incidentally, 157 views and only 18 votes?? ... C’mon people, let your voice be heard !!!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Bratislava, Slovakia

@TomC

As far as I know, the intention is to integrate Magento with no need of a wrapper (though this option will still be available), so Magento can use Joomla template. But, as I’m going deeper into Magento I wonder if this is possible. Mag is just too complex to integrate this way (the VirtueMart way). I tend to believe that we will have user sync working but we’ll still need to customize (perhaps not in some large extent) either Joomla template or Mag theme to match each other.

And, Varien is interested in Joomla integration, as Roy posted months ago, but I see it they rather leave this to the community to do it. There was an initiative of bigodines (see http://www.magentocommerce.com/group/view/141/) also based on JFusion but he no longer have time to work on it. Then, Marius of JFusion has taken over this idea - so developers, please help him if you can!

Magento Community
Magento Community

nontemplates

Total Posts:  2

I’m going to STRONGLY disagree even though I am an avid Joomla user..  I don’t think its a top priority at all.  Let the separate cms communities work on the integration and let Magento work on its own code.  The most I would want to see is a single sign on module.  Thats it.  Why?

Lets face it.  Integration where Magento has to hide behind the scenes of another CMs is a bear.  It inevitably is going to have severe restrictions and going to need multiple revisions and a whole lot of testing that will have to be reworked every time there is a new version of Joomla , wordpress or Drupal .  Once the Magento team makes it self responsible for delivering integration they will be held accountable forever to maintain that integration with changing third party software versions.  major drain.

With the clean thinking of the magento team I’d rather see them build out their own CMS.  One that from the ground up extends the ecommerce mission of the software not one that is a blog trying to be a CMS or a general CMS trying to be an ecommerce application.

Magento is bigger than being a plugin.  It deserves to have software built from the ground up to work with it.  If we think that templating is too difficult then let the Magento team use its resources to make that easier.  Magento isn’t having a problem growing its own community.  So my vote for the most flexibility without limiting the power of Magento is a single sign in.  Please no total integration.  At least not from the Magento team.

Magento Community
Magento Community

nontemplates

Total Posts:  2

Plus theres the whole issue of licensing that is a big debate within the joomla community.  Its made several component programmers back out.  By working on making Magento into a Joomla component Varien would be opening itself to a can of worms that could see Joomla making claims on Magento code. single sign on does not have the same issue and accomplishes sync for your customers.  I

Magento Community
Magento Community

Bratislava, Slovakia

Good point, we should not push Varien to maintain integration with third party app as it’s very difficult to keep it up to date. And I think that may be the reason why this is not an internal project (I guess). The user sync concept is enough and as the JFusion logic allows creating an integration without any core hacks, that is the solution. Tempate/theme customization is something we need to do do anyway. Maybe the Joomla template providers could make a package of Joomla and Magento (sci-fi?).

Magento Community
Magento Community

TomC

nontemplates - 12 June 2008 04:08 AM

Magento is bigger than being a plugin.  It deserves to have software built from the ground up to work with it.  If we think that templating is too difficult then let the Magento team use its resources to make that easier.  Magento isn’t having a problem growing its own community.  So my vote for the most flexibility without limiting the power of Magento is a single sign in.  Please no total integration.  At least not from the Magento team.

I see your points.  For myself, it’s more of a matter of having to “re-invent the wheel” in trying to figure out how to work within the Magento file structure.  Yes, I have read both the User and Developers Guides - but the process is still rather intimidating compared to the relative structure and workflow of the Joomla template system.  Is this making sense?

In THIS respect, perhaps if some on the Magento Team could think a little less high-end programmers and consider those of us who will very likely never be on the same coding level as they.  A much more intuitive template orientation / modification / customization system is desparately needed.

Magento Community
Magento Community

turnon

Total Posts:  129

let wait for the new release with api

Magento Community
Magento Community

sherrie
Mentor

Total Posts:  1655
Waterloo, ON

karynn - 10 June 2008 01:56 PM

WordPress! Pretty pleeeeeeeease!  cheese

http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/8736/

Magento Community
Magento Community

sdb

Total Posts:  223
coastal California, USA

FAIL

I completely disagree with this thread. CMS, while it would be nice, should NOT be a top priority. There are many, many, more important things that need to be worked on (such as downloadable items, fixing item imports, etc), especially since the community has already got the Wordpress thing (at least partially) working, and there is a group working on Joomla.

Magento Community
Magento Community

TomC

sdb - 13 June 2008 07:31 AM

FAIL

I completely disagree with this thread. CMS, while it would be nice, should NOT be a top priority. There are many, many, more important things that need to be worked on (such as downloadable items, fixing item imports, etc), especially since the community has already got the Wordpress thing (at least partially) working, and there is a group working on Joomla.

Well, assuming Magento wants to be THE THING in open source ecommerce, it is not unreasonable to believe and/or suggest that they strive for integration with the most popular and widely used open source CMS systems out there.  Yes, there are some working on things within each respective CMS Community, but it’s my opinion that this should be a Magento lead project - since it’s their product.

Again, Magento’s market exposure would increase exponentially if they developed and released a stable integration package for these CMS systems - especially Joomla and WordPress.  I guarantee you that I I would not be the only one spreading the word.  In fact, I know of at least two Joomla Template Clubs that would love to begin designing ecommerce Joomla templates utilizing Magento’s vast array of features - if only there was a stable integration package to be able to do so.

Magento Community
Magento Community

TomC

Ron Seigel - 17 June 2008 01:57 PM

I personally consider this a total NON-PRIORITY!
IMHO Magento should do what it’s designed to do - run a shop. Period.
I’d say it’s the CMS developers responsibility to connect the two if they really want to.

There’s a reason why VirtueMart has hundreds of thousands of downloads and users - it’s because they were smart enough to develop their os ecommerce product to integrate with one of the most popular CMS systems on the planet - Joomla.  It’s about VISION . . . It’s about MARKETING . . . It’s about EXPANSIVE VERSATILITY.

Joomla and WordPress have been around a long time - they don’t need Magento to maintain/increase their exposure and user base.  The opposite is true for Magento - new on the scene, looking to make it’s presence known to the open source community. What better way to do so than to be compatible with two of the os mainstays?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 5