Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Can magento handle 100 multiple sites under 1 SSL certificate? 

freshwebs

Total Posts:  153
Leicestershire, UK

Sorry for such newbie questions ... but here goes. Will Magento cope with the following scenario

1) Multiple stores on the same server with unique urls - main store = shop1.com, other stores = shop2.com, shop3.com, etc. - each one being a separate folder off the root directory (shop1, shop2, etc).
2) Each shop shares 1 shopping cart/checkout - ie, if I buy from shop2.com then the sale details will be available to admin of the main store shop1.com but the customer will get invoice from shop2.com not shop1.com, etc?
3) In this scenario, would one SSL certificate suffice for all the shops or will I need one for each separate domain (ie, shop1.com, shop2.com, etc).
4) Similarly, will each domain require its own IP address?
5) How many different sites can Magento run without performance problems? My client has c.100 separate sites that he wants to manage from a central admin & single shopping cart site ala Magento.

Thanks in advance for your time & help,
Eddie

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

adimagento
Guru

Total Posts:  626
Los Angeles, CA

1) Multiple stores on the same server with unique urls - main store = shop1.com, other stores = shop2.com, shop3.com, etc. - each one being a separate folder off the root directory (shop1, shop2, etc).

This functionality is available. 

2) Each shop shares 1 shopping cart/checkout - ie, if I buy from shop2.com then the sale details will be available to admin of the main store shop1.com but the customer will get invoice from shop2.com not shop1.com, etc?

Available

4) Similarly, will each domain require its own IP address?

You can share one IP or have as many different ones as you would like.

5) How many different sites can Magento run without performance problems? My client has c.100 separate sites that he wants to manage from a central admin & single shopping cart site ala Magento.

In an optimal resource environment this should be fine BUT it depends on the hardware and the traffic each one of these sites will have.

Magento Community
Magento Community

alistek

Total Posts:  293
Normal, IL

The SSL cert is generally dependent on the exact domain name, i.e. magento.com is not equivalent to www.magento.com.  This implies that if you have multiple sites you need multiple certificates (by the way to resolve the www vs non www you would generally do a redirect from one to the other so no matter what people type in it will go to the same one, good for SEO and less hassle).  Now I don’t know if there are SSL certs that can handle multiple domains on one cert, I’ve never looked but I would also think that would be expensive.  One way to possibly handle it would be to have each different store domain direct to one master domain that you have each store under.  I.E. www.store1.com -> www.masterstore.com/store1/, www.store2.com -> www.masterstore.com/store2/

Magento Community
Magento Community

freshwebs

Leicestershire, UK

Hi there,
Thanks for the clarification.

With regard to the SSL certificate I don’t think I was thinking straight - I suppose you would have the cart ‘attached’ to store1.com & then have a SSL certificate for that domain only. This would then act as the shopping cart/checkout for all the other domains. This would work if users had only one account (with store1.com), etc.

With regard to multiple domains, this statement was the cause of my concern:

If you are running two different domain names, it might be easiest to install Magento once under each virtual host and simply enter in the same database settings into both installations.

(php|architect’s Guide to Programming with Magento, p 33)

This would certainly not meet my requirements if it was the case - my client is capable of copying an index file to another folder & simple DNS changes. Installing Magento 100x would be a no-no for many reasons. My client has a dedicated server with the ability to have the database hosted on another server if required, so should have the hardware capacity to run 100 stores.

So, to be clear, we can install Magento 1x, then create multiple stores in new folders and then point domain names at these separate folders?

Thanks again for your input,
Eddie

Magento Community
Magento Community

adimagento
Guru

Total Posts:  626
Los Angeles, CA

So, to be clear, we can install Magento 1x, then create multiple stores in new folders and then point domain names at these separate folders?

yes.

Magento Community
Magento Community

freshwebs

Leicestershire, UK

Hi Adi,
Thanks for your fast response.

This is great news & Magento looks like a good fit for this particular requirement. In terms of server architecture, I presume it would be possible to have the database hosted on a separate server, & then possibly spread several magento installations, each with n* multiple stores, across a number of servers, with some kind of load balancing - but I need to think that idea through a little!

Thanks again,
Eddie

Magento Community
Magento Community

alistek

Total Posts:  293
Normal, IL

Yes it is completely possible.  With the load balancing I don’t know to much about it but there might have to be some architectural changes to Magento to accommodate several databases for load balancing but it is certainly possible.

-Adam

Magento Community
Magento Community

castus

Total Posts:  64

Sounds like a big job! Good luck with it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

freshwebs

Leicestershire, UK

Hi,
Thanks for that.

I’m thinking of master(write) slave(read only) databases to ease load. I’m also ‘lucky’ in that the roll out will be incremental rather than big bang (I hope!).
Eddie

Magento Community
Magento Community

mrgad

Total Posts:  60

This is essentially the same question I have, but I’m still unclear on what the final verdict is, after the dialogue so far.

To rephrase the question:

I have done a single installation of magento on site1.com, but there is no store associated with that domain.

I have created site2.com, site3.com, site4.com—all of these have .htaccess and index.php files configured to work with the magento installation on site1.com.

When a customer goes to site2.com, the URL he sees is “www.site2.com”—and all of the links that appear on the magento store appear as “site2.com”.  Ditto for site3, site4, etc.

I will be using SecurePay as my payment gateway.

The question:  Do I need a dedicated SSL for site2.com, site3.com, site4.com (3 certificates)?  Or do I only need one SSL certificate (for site1.com)?  Or, third posibility, will I need FOUR certificates—one for each domain that the customer may visit and make purchases through (site2, 3, 4) as well as a fourth one installed on site1.com where the magento is installed?

So the answer I’m looking for is either:  THREE, ONE, or FOUR.

Thank you!

Magento Community
Magento Community

freshwebs

Leicestershire, UK

Hi mrgad,
I think it all depends on whether you will have one shopping cart for all the stores. If so, then only 1 SSL for site1.com, if that’s the one hosting the shopping cart. Choice TWO above.

Under that scenario, customer info is shared across all your stores.

However, if you want each store to have its own separate shopping cart, this will mean customer data can’t be shared across stores. It also means that you’ll need a dedicated SSL for each shopping cart - choice FOUR above.

Anyway, this is my understanding of how it would work. I’m still installing, re-installing, testing & restesting my configuration. But to-date I’ve got many stores (each with its own domain name/url) sharing a single shopping cart & this works nicely.

Cheers,
Eddie

Magento Community
Magento Community

SimpleHelixcom
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  906
Huntsville, AL

I’m also curious about this.

<quote>Anyway, this is my understanding of how it would work. I’m still installing, re-installing, testing & restesting my configuration. But to-date I’ve got many stores (each with its own domain name/url) sharing a single shopping cart & this works nicely</quote>

So does that mean that, after a customer checks out, does he get redirected back to his old store?

Magento Community
Magento Community

redwagon

Total Posts:  17
MN, USA

I seem to be getting MANY different answers from people who have a multi-domain / multi-store setup.
One person on here says that you can set up the other stores in just folders and point the domains to them. This DIDN’T work. The only way I got them to work was install Magento and the store theme into a separate host account for each domain. And then point to the main store, thus sharing that admin for all.
Also with the SSL, I was told we need one for EACH domain. So how is this shared cart working?

Can someone please clarify or PM me their domains that are set up with the multi-site feature?!! Thanks.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mrgad

Total Posts:  60

Yes, you can definitely run multiple websites/stores from a single install.  Do a search on magento for multiple domains and you’ll find an instructional video that shows you how.  It requires copying two files—.htaccess and index.php—from your magento folder to the root of your selected domain.  That’s step one.  Step two is changing two lines in the index.php file.

You’ll need to insert the name of your website (the code you select in admin), but you ALSO need to do something slightly different than the video shows.

Instead of the two periods you insert before the location of the Mage app (in the app folder), you need to indicate system path to the magento folder.  Ask your hosting service to tell you the system path if you don’t know it.  It will be something along the lines of “/home/usr/yourdomain/magento/app/”

That will work, guaranteed—assuming you’re hosting multiple domains on a shared hosting plan.  If you have MULTIPLE hosting plans, then and only then would you require multiple installs.

Magento Community
Magento Community

redwagon

Total Posts:  17
MN, USA

The domains were purchased from different companies. There are .de, .co.uk .. etc.

Magento Community
Magento Community

rashadex

Total Posts:  8

adimagento - 10 June 2008 09:13 PM

yes.

Can we redirect multiple stores to one checkout page? how?

what for is the

...Payment_Model_Abstract (or CC)::getCheckoutRedirectUrl ()
for?
this function retutns string to the system specifying the redirection url for authorization processes. But when magento redirects the purchase it does not provide purchase details via POST. I returned from this function url of the neighbouring application which displays all the data passed to it. Data appears to be empty. I can include payment details in the url via GET method, but that is not reliable.

What if users modify the url and specify a wrong price or ID?
Secondly, if the payment gateway returns authorization or charge action results to a specific url (lets say to a particulat standalone url inside of our magento installation catalog) how do we update order status? where can be obtain information what tables and which fields got to be updated to specifiy the authorization result , for example.

And, please provide us with some knowledge on magento MVC understantings. Recently I found an article in Magento Wiki describing how to create simple administration form inside magento. I followed those instructions and created a back side admin form, whith menu item added to the main menu system.  But I don’t know how to handle post data, how to handle get data? how to display a processing result on the page (.phtml pages). In phtml pages I see $this-> something, to which class does pthml model belong? not to controller, it is for sure.
What do blocks mean? what does helper mean? what do Data classes mean. I can intiutively understand what they mean, but I don’t how to work with them, how to pass it. I have a workflow picture of magento classes but that also is not helpfull.

please, give us some explanation of how magento MVC works for particularly admin form creation.
I pomise, I will put all my knowledge to magento wiki, and put all products of self development for magento to community download.

thank you again

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2