Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
TinyMCE on administration backend? 

DaveTheAve

Total Posts:  25
Kentucky

I was expecting to see on TinyMCE on the administration backend when I seen it downloading tiny from the SVN. Once I use it I don’t see much javascript and no TinyMCE on the backend. There should be at LEAST TinyMCE on the CMS - > Manage Pages section!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

iblastoff

Total Posts:  252

god i really hope not. wysiwyg editors are beyond annoying. but i’m sure this will come along as a plugin (or if built into the core, an option to definitely turn it off)

Magento Community
Magento Community

_

Total Posts:  152

@iblastoff

There must be a WYSIWYG editor if Magento will be used not only by proffesionals as we wink. I’ve been building shops using osC for years and Tiny or FCK was always the first question. For us this is not complicated but for our customers could be a huge problem. I cannot imagine how a person without any coding experience can create good-looking descriptions.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

TinyMCE was originally used in admin in few places including CMS

The problem arised when we tried to use custom cms URLs in the image src, such as:
< img src="{{skin url=’images/test.jpg’}}” >

TinyMCE just breaks it. So we have left it out until we’ll find a solution for it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

_

Moshe, maybe consider using WYSIWYG from ExtJS. The editor must have not all of features but should allow to format texts using simple tags.

I’ve seen the post about it about month ago . Please look at this : http://extjs.com/blog/2007/08/01/ext-v11-released/

I think that using Ext is much more better as using Tiny. And as I see Ext is integrated with Magento.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Los Angeles

Yes, right now we’re using Ext for the tree.. Because it does it the best.

On the other side Ext library is heavier than others to load, and this is a concern for us, as now we’re going into stage of optimization..

But we’ll definitely try and see how it measures up.

Thanks smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Los Angeles

I’ve just followed the link you sent and maybe my information about the size is outdated, will definitely try it smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

Scott
Guru

Total Posts:  333
Northwest Ohio

Lightweight seem to be the new blue in the code world these days. :D

Dang, too bad about Magento rasberry

Magento Community
Magento Community

aarne

Total Posts:  130

There are also other equivalents for TinyMCE. People have told that this one seems quite good for basic stuff: http://www.wymeditor.org/en/

Magento Community
Magento Community

_

Aarne, thank you for the link but the stable version runs only under IE and Gecko based browsers so you won’t be able to use it on Opera smile. I don’t know if Varien would like to use an experimental varsion (0.4) of this editor smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

aarne

Well just a thought. wink

What about FCK then? Did that also brake picture links?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Johan

Total Posts:  104
Sweden

FCK stinks IMO.

I hope you include a lightweight, fast loading editor.

What would be cool is to have the choice of not loading the editor by default (could be changed in settings) and display the html code by default. And then have a toggle button next to the textbox where you can switch to editor mode and the textbox “transforms” into an editor.

Or something very flexible. I wouldn’t like the editor to load up every single time and wait for it to load when I need to do a small edit.

Magento Community
Magento Community

_

I don’t know if FCK breaks the links - possibly not because I use it for sending newsletter with custom tags and replace them with str_replace using an array . But another problem is that FCK has the biggest package size and it’ll take very long to load it on page. There’s also known that FCK doesn’t work good with other scripts (mostly AJAX), tabbed browsing etc..

I’ve been experiencing many problems while integrating it into highly modified osCommerce (our fork Netcart has admin area loaded with AJAX and js) so i don’t expect that FCK will run under Magento smoothly and without problems. Other thing in FCK is that it’s hanging Mozilla Firefox when trying to browse folder with more than 40 MB files inside.

I’m not saying that FCK is bad - it isn’t. But when we are talking about optimising Magento we can forget it smile. I think that FCK is best suited for small sites or CMS so now i’m writing a custom browser and editor for my shops.

Magento Community
Magento Community

aarne

Yep agree on that. Normally I don’t use editors that much, but there are always users that do, so the option to have editor chosen by user might be the best option. smile

Even if FCK would stink in your opinion, it’s still an option. If there’s no better at this point why not use one that does the job. smile

Basically what’s needed is lightweight editor, but Tiny breaks links. WYM is at too early stage and not crossbrowser. What’s left? FCK or homebrew. Assuming that FCK doesn’t break links or anything. smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

aarne

A.Piotrowski (Lento.pl) - 07 September 2007 01:48 AM

I don’t know if FCK breaks the links - possibly not because I use it for sending newsletter with custom tags and replace them with str_replace using an array . But another problem is that FCK has the biggest package size and it’ll take very long to load it on page. There’s also known that FCK doesn’t work good with other scripts (mostly AJAX), tabbed browsing etc..

I’ve been experiencing many problems while integrating it into highly modified osCommerce (our fork Netcart has admin area loaded with AJAX and js) so i don’t expect that FCK will run under Magento smoothly and without problems. Other thing in FCK is that it’s hangs Mozilla Firefox when trying to browse folder with more than 40 MB files inside.

I’m not saying that FCK is bad - it isn’t. But when we are talking about optimising Magento we can forget it smile. I think that FCK is best suited for small sites or CMS so now i’m writing a custom browser and editor for my shops.

Ok, this one had decent feedback behind the opinion. wink Approved. LOL

Magento Community
Magento Community

Appmerce
Guru

Total Posts:  376
Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Classy Llama Studios - 21 October 2008 08:41 PM

Has there been a decision from Varien as to whether or not this functionality is going to be developed?  If not, then I will probably develop a module for it.

I read they couldn’t get tinymce to stop breaking their {{ }} markup. If you can, please make a module for it. Absolutely everybody wants one!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2