Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

please provide a list where Prototype scripts are used

lotusseedsD
Mentor

Total Posts:  1144

I want to make a jQuery version of Magento template, but it’s hard to find what to replace and which files to look for because I am not familiar with Prototype functions.

For instance, a code like this is too generic too figure whether it uses Prototype or Varien’s js

<script type="text/javascript\">decorateTable(’shoping-cart-totals-table’)</script>

TIA for consideration.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

oshipper

Total Posts:  53
New York, NY

Anyone have any luck documenting every use of prototype in the front end and back end? Really need to pull this mess apart.

Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

oshipper

Total Posts:  53
New York, NY

I emailed Varien and they insist there is no such list or documentation but they are available for hire to figure it out.

Anyone else out there able to crack this? We cannot recommend Magento based on this more than anything (not a good sign).

Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

oshipper - 22 July 2008 04:47 PM

I emailed Varien and they insist there is no such list or documentation but they are available for hire to figure it out..

lol, this is funny.

I tried to eliminate all prototype features with no success - some scripts look like prototype but cannot be 100% sure. I think it requires one with a deep knowledge of prototype to to be a prototype terminator. But the paradox is, if one has good knowledge of prototype, one might as well fully embracing it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sprout Collective

Total Posts:  64
Portland, OR / Orange County, CA

Converting to jQuery on the back end may be a bit too ambitious this early.  We’re currently leaning in that direction for the front end, however, and are looking into building an extension for it as we have time.

I’d be happy to set up a group for it if anyone is interested in helping out.  We definitely need more library options in Magento.

- Cliff

Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

Well, I will contribute if I can. So far I have implemented jQuery’s lightbox, tabs and accordion in the product view page, however I am unable to write jQuery plugins.

I very much would love to be able to do the accordion or treeview for the category menu (vertical version) because the one Magento has for the horizontal menu, lucks flexibility for vertical menu, the way it works, is also (almost) impossible to manipulate in CSS to get a better, accessible fly-out menu, and I don’t know enough PHP to dare to touch the Navigation.php file.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sprout Collective

Total Posts:  64
Portland, OR / Orange County, CA

Excellent.  The goal being the use of a single library to help slim things down, I think we could really pull together to build some extensions that will easily help us do just that.

I’ve just created a “Javascript Libraries” group at http://www.magentocommerce.com/group/view/241.  We’ll mostly likely be starting with jQuery, so If you’d like to follow along, or even participate, please join!

-Cliff

Magento Community
Magento Community

Carumba

Total Posts:  18
California

I just noticed that there is a bug in how Magento tries to load the js file which results in the file NOT being loaded at all. This leads me to wonder if prototype is being used anywhere at all.

What I would like is some help identifying where if any Prototype is being used. To do this, try disabling Prototype in your store and report where things break, check out etc.

I’ll write a longer post up in a little bit.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Frederik Krautwald

Total Posts:  58
Reykjavík, Iceland

JHO - 07 March 2009 04:54 PM

I just noticed that there is a bug in how Magento tries to load the js file which results in the file NOT being loaded at all. This leads me to wonder if prototype is being used anywhere at all.

What I would like is some help identifying where if any Prototype is being used. To do this, try disabling Prototype in your store and report where things break, check out etc.

I’ll write a longer post up in a little bit.

It would have been great, if you would have identified your found “bug”. I.e., which files and lines.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Carumba

Total Posts:  18
California

Oops,

I did write up the post but forgot to post the link here.

Here you go (and you can pick up the patch via github):
http://tumblelog.jauderho.com/post/85067639/magento-javascript-loading-bug

Magento Community
Magento Community

demonkoryu
Guru

Total Posts:  328
Dortmund, Germany

Prototype seems to have had its run. I’m much in favor of jQuery or other, newer libraries. I like Prototype but it’s showing its age.
FWIW, I’ve joined the group and plan to contribute.

Magento Community
Magento Community

zuno

Total Posts:  30
Redondo Beach, CA

Digging up this old post.
Has the attempt to replace Prototype with something else, JQuery MooTools etc been completely abandoned?

Magento Community
Magento Community

ShopGuy
Guru

Total Posts:  462

There really is no point in changing javascript libraries. It will not increase your store revenue or provide any business advantages. I like JQuery because it can be more compact than Prototype. However, Prototype has a better OO design and based on the code produced in each is more maintainable. It is not going anywhere, either.

Magento Community
Magento Community

demonkoryu
Guru

Total Posts:  328
Dortmund, Germany

There is quite a point, as there are many useful JavaScript widgets which conflict with Prototype because Prototype insists on using the $() function and doesn’t provide a noConflict way like jQuery does.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community