Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

163 categories and Fatal error : memory_limit 64M exhausted

cooper

Total Posts:  104

Hello,

My catalogue is currently composed of 163 categories spread over a 6 levels tree :
1st levels : 4 categories
2nd : 27 categories
3rd levels: 74 categories
4th levels: 40 categories
5th levels: 16 categories
6th levels: 2 categories

163 in total. And I can not add more because of my memory_limit .htacces is reached. I get a beautiful:

Fatal errorAllowed memory size of 67108864 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 1245184 bytes

in home zada public_html lib Zend Date.php on line 2554

I’m on a shared server and of course the memory_limit is limited and in any case only allocated by the host (which already give me 64M instead of the 32 first...). I can not increase the value in the file .htacces. So I wonder: Is there a solution? Is the category management not overly greedy in resource? And in the state, a share host is it really feasible to run Magento?

(sorry for my bad english....)

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

cooper

Ok, I did not understand why 160 categories should exhaust the memory like this BUT It seems to be a known bug :

http://www.magentocommerce.com/bug-tracking/issue?issue=1777

And for a growing catalog, even if you can give PHP 128 megs, or 256 megs, you’ll still have this problem.

So my question is : does anyone know if this bug wil be fixed in the next release?

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

sherrie

Total Posts:  1655
Waterloo, ON

The next release has a 40% performance improvement, so that might help - not really sure.

Basically, as it stands right now, if you need more categories you’ll have to upgrade past a shared server.  I ran into the same problem and just found a way to condense my categories for now.

Magento Community
Magento Community

cooper

Thanks for your reply.

I’ll wait for the next relase and try to manage smaller catalog for the moment.  I hope it would be resolved at an early date....

Magento Community
Magento Community

sherrie

Total Posts:  1655
Waterloo, ON

One way I eliminated some of the categories was by creating an attribute called “Classification” This way I could still have the layered navigation narrow by shirts, shorts, souvenirs, etc.

Magento Community
Magento Community

cooper

Sherrie,

Thanks for sharing this good idea. I think I could manage my categories by this way even if now I am not sure how to do this correctly with the actual structure of my catalog.

For example, with a structure including several sub-categories the attributes relative to products that belongs to one of these sub-categories will be displayed also at the upper level (the parent catégory).  And maybe it might be source of confusion for the front-end users if that attribute are only specific to this product.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community