Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Does Magento compress images automatically? 

sherrie

Total Posts:  1655
Waterloo, ON

I’ve noticed a strange phenomenon today.  I have an html page of the theme located on my computer side by side with the web page of the theme on Magento.  The very same images (they were copied to the web folder, never touched in an image program inbetween) are losing quality on Magento as opposed to the way they look on the simple html page.

Any knowledge of this happening or what setting in Magento is doing this?  I assume it’s something set up to increase performance.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

crius
Guru

Total Posts:  623
Denmark

The product images go through some processing by Magento to make sure they have correct sizes. This could possibly result in some compression as well. The images for your page design, in the skin folder, are not processed in any way and should not lose quality.

Magento Community
Magento Community

sdb

Total Posts:  223
coastal California, USA

Magento does automatically compress jpegs, but you can tell it how much to compress said images. The default is 75%, which is way too low for some things and about right for others.

See this thread for details on how to change the compression
http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/6158/

Magento Community
Magento Community

sherrie

Total Posts:  1655
Waterloo, ON

Thanks!  I’ll take a look at that - guess I should’ve searched a little bit harder first, I didn’t remember seeing a post about it before.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community