Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Add Mootools

flowstack

Total Posts:  159
London, United Kingdom

I’ve tried adding mootools to my store by doing the following:

1. Downloaded mootools and placed it in /js/mootools/mootools.js.
2. Added the following line to /app/design/frontend/default/default/layout/page.xml:

<action method="addJs"><script>mootools/mootools.js</script></action>

However, a javascript error is being thrown:

‘window.addEvent is not a function’

I have double checked the page with Firebug and the function is definitely there.

Can anyone shed light on this?

Thanks

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

ikonic

Total Posts:  2

From what I understand, Mootools and Prototype often have conflicts. Magento uses Prototype by default. I’d assume it’s possible but not all that easy to replace Prototype with Mootools throughout the relevant Magento pages. But if you aren’t dead set on the speed and functionality boosts of Mootools you could probably accomplish similar Javascript behaviors using Prototype + Scriptaculous.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jbh1

Total Posts:  7

MooTools would probably be suitable as this software is a cud chewing cow
as is the support.

Less fancy stuff and more practical stuff like...I don’t know, use of data and customization.
Or an admin panel that doesn’t require a phd

Oh watch, now support will come. Get the flying monkeys after me. 2 days and still nothing. You cannot build something
without thinking of real world uses. The power of open source is not just in letting nerds with phd’s open it up and play with it. It’s in
empowering people to make changes easily. I develop software and it’s easy to do if you care enough.

But they don’t care enough.

Magento Community
Magento Community

flowstack

London, United Kingdom

Thanks to both you guys.

Looks like you are correct ikonic. I moved the inclusion on mootools.js to the top of the page.xml file, before the prototype files are included. This made my mootools code work but broke other things!

It’s a real pain because I’ve coded it all up in mootools and the behaviour is exactly what I want. Now I’ve got to go and learn Scriptalicious and do it all over again...oh well smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

Total Posts:  1144

Do you know how many Prototype features are implemented?  So far the obvious ones I know of is Checkout page; the Modern theme has a Tab in the product page but it’s not in Default theme.

As I get more comfortable working with Magento template, I’d been thinking to eliminate Prototype altogether for the next site. if it’s just the Checkout page, it will be easy to do.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ikonic

Total Posts:  2

I was thinking the same. Much rather replace Prototype entirely if possible.

Magento Community
Magento Community

alistek

Total Posts:  293
Normal, IL

It is quite possible from what I understand, there have been posts about replacing with JQuery.  Anyways the main conflict with Prototype and other libraries tends to be it’s use of the $ sign as a prefix.  There is a function to remove it I believe but that I think would be the first step.

-Adam

Magento Community
Magento Community

lorenzo01

Total Posts:  221
France

hello,
i’m very interresting in using mootools library , lightbox works fine but mootools cause conflict....is there a solution ? mootools is very impressive…

Magento Community
Magento Community

flowstack

London, United Kingdom

No solution at the moment.

I chose mootools because it looked very simple to use. I had the effects I needed up and running quickly, having never used it before.

Haven’t used Prototype or Scriptalicious but it looks a little more complicated. Probably once I get into it I will realise that is not the case.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community