Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 2 of 3
Warning: popen() has been disabled

cablegunmaster

Total Posts:  7

I hope magento is going to use another function as popen cause. popen is disable by allot of hosts this causing the downloads/ extensions hard to download.

is there any other way to implement this function? like using another function as Popen();?
This is a hard bug for our company to be using magento on the current webhost. Cause the webhost doessnt allow it due to security issues.

Please Magento developers ,

There must be some other way to get the downloads / Extensions.

EDIT and Solved =)

Directadmin Solution:

I changed the php.ini on my Controlpanel my Hosting service says we dont do it for you. We dont allow it . Just telling me to shit my pants for using that function.  Luckily my Cpanel has absolute power over php.ini =) so I changed it ^^

Solution:
If youre using Directadmin go to -> Admin level -> File editor -> Php.ini
Search for the following line which contains the word “ disable_functions “ Delete Popen and Pclose from the line
Save the file!

After this do a reboot of the server.
on Directadmin this goes as following: -> instead of File editor now pick “ System monitor “ and fill in the password to reboot =)

Happy magento is happy ^^.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

rbl

Total Posts:  1

tSpid3r - 13 August 2009 12:17 PM

This is just to confirm that copying the “php.ini” file in the “downloader” folder has solved my problem:
“popen() disabled...”

Same here! Thanks for the tip!

Ricardo

Magento Community
Magento Community

PedroTeixeira

Total Posts:  136
Berlin, Germany

This is just to confirm that copying the “php.ini” file in the “downloader” folder has solved my problem:
“popen() disabled...”

Works for me too.

Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

ypeo

Total Posts:  2

Hello, i don’t have php.ini on magento 1.4 version. I have php.ini.sample, i rename it into php.ini and php5.ini i copyed the file on downloader folder but the same error… Can someone post the content of the php.ini file? Thanks in advance.

Magento Community
Magento Community

PedroTeixeira

Berlin, Germany

ypeo,

This is my php.ini and this works for me.

This is not the Magento php.ini.

Good luck!

File Attachments
php.zip  (File Size: 14KB - Downloads: 418)

Magento Community
Magento Community

ypeo

Total Posts:  2

@ Pedro - thanks a lot bro. But still not working… I copied the php.ini from you into root of magento folder and in downloader folder… the same errors. The only diference is when i change from Settings to Custom (0777 permisions) the error is other: “Invalid package identifier provided: Warning: mkdir() [function.mkdir]: File exists in /home/ype/public_html/gold/downloader/pearlib/php/System.php on line 280”. If i’m not be able to resolve this @#$t till tomorrow i’m gonna go to other oscommerce platform… Magento is complex, beautiful… but not working for me. Thank’s again.

Magento Community
Magento Community

PedroTeixeira

Berlin, Germany

Ok Ypeo, good luck!

Magento Community
Magento Community

ozzie

Total Posts:  9

Thankyou Pedro.. I copied your php.ini file and saved it in my downloader file and finally I could download extensions! Kudos to you, Pedro

Magento Community
Magento Community

WebhostUK LTD

Total Posts:  163
UK

Hello,

Yes the issue can main occur due to php.ini setting.

Just need to change it to get it working.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Purece Nicolae Daniel

Total Posts:  6

I’ve copied php.ini in Public_html / Downloader.
This works for me.

Thank you all!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Infernos

Total Posts:  4

I had the same problem of popen not being open. I got my host to open popen but it still wouldn’t work. I eventually put the php.ini file in each of the downloader sub folders. I don’t know which one fixed it, but it worked after.

Magento Community
Magento Community

RSCreativeArts

Total Posts:  3

Mate you are a champion, your php.ini in my downloader file worked perfectly for me too!

Magento Community
Magento Community

albwibowo

Total Posts:  1

Very hard using Magento ... always get error, always ask to hosting support for help. This Shop CMS good but for install and use to hard cause so many not allowed in hosting server. This only some input from me

Magento Community
Magento Community

James.Xu

Total Posts:  3

it still doesn’t work. I copy php.ini to downloader directory, it say 500 Error.... Anyone helps me?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Magento_Ireland

Total Posts:  29

@James.Xu

Try uploading your php.ini file with only the popen code as below. There may be extra information in your php.ini causing the error?

popen=1

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 2 of 3