Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 3
Warning: popen() has been disabled

catchgraphics

Total Posts:  11

Hi I am trying to add extensions to Magento but I get the following error message. Does anyone know a work around or fix for this?

Warning: popen() has been disabled for security reasons in /home2/catchgra/public_html/magento/downloader/pearlib/php/OS/Guess.php on line 247

Thanks
Michael

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Bob S

Total Posts:  25

I ran into the same problem about a month ago but, unfortunately, no one in the forums has offered any guidance. I wonder if it is something peculiar to our hosting environment. Hopefully someone sees this and can point us both in the right direction.

Bob

Magento Community
Magento Community

infotech

Total Posts:  7

The problem is with your php configuration. If you are on a shared hosting server the provider has most likely disabled it for security reasons. You can try asking them to enable it for you if they won’t you’ll need to find another host.

The php extension itself is not as big of a security risk as they make it out to be, no worse than other extensions which are commonly enabled for popular add ons like forum software and other ecommerce packages. It’s not an extension commonly required though so quite a few hosts will refuse to enable it. As long as they stay on top of patching PHP and Apache, configuring the system to isolate potential damage and monitoring the server for intrustion (which are all things any good host should do) then it’s not that big of a deal.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial Web Host
Guru

Total Posts:  364
Phoenix, AZ

popen is commonly disabled with PHP safe_mode.

Magento explicitly requires that safe_mode be off.  If your host does not allow this you will need to make alternate hosting arrangements to properly run Magento.

Hope this helps.

Magento Community
Magento Community

catchgraphics

Total Posts:  11

Thanks for the reply – much appreciated. A shame it wasn’t answered a while back as I have moved on to another web hosting company anyway.
Cheers
Michael

Magento Community
Magento Community

Fibo

Total Posts:  107
Marseille, France

Crucial Web Host - 07 July 2008 06:55 PM

popen is commonly disabled with PHP safe_mode.

Magento explicitly requires that safe_mode be off.  If your host does not allow this you will need to make alternate hosting arrangements to properly run Magento.

Just to be sure to clarify totally:
1 - do you mean that without popen cannot run at all?
2 - or just that using PEAR embedded within Magento-Connect will not work?

My host provider seem to have blocked popen...but I have access to PEAR (of the provider) from cPanel. Are there some parameters that would allow PEAR to access to the modules directly from some server? what would be the parameters?

Magento Community
Magento Community

xpress'd

Total Posts:  5

my safe mode is off but it still doesn’t work.

Magento Community
Magento Community

blizzard182

Total Posts:  115
Argentina

xpress’d - 12 December 2008 12:47 PM

my safe mode is off but it still doesn’t work.

Mine was too and it didn’t work either.

If you are using a host provider, you will need to ask them to enable popen a pclose (If I remember correctly) and then everything works fine.

Cheers

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mattc0m

Total Posts:  3

Hey,

I have popen taken off my disable_functions within php.ini.

php safe_mode is off.

Here’s my phpinfo: http://www.thefragstore.com/phpinfo.php

Yet… I still get the following error:
Warning: popen() has been disabled for security reasons in /home/thefrag/public_html/downloader/pearlib/php/OS/Guess.php on line 247

What am I doing wrong? ahhh!

Magento Community
Magento Community

blizzard182

Total Posts:  115
Argentina

Mattc0m - 17 December 2008 03:31 PM

Hey,

I have popen taken off my disable_functions within php.ini.

php safe_mode is off.

Here’s my phpinfo: http://www.thefragstore.com/phpinfo.php

Yet… I still get the following error:
Warning: popen() has been disabled for security reasons in /home/thefrag/public_html/downloader/pearlib/php/OS/Guess.php on line 247

What am I doing wrong? ahhh!

Hello

My hosting company made the changes for me, so I wouldn’t know if you are making the correct changes. I could ask them if you like.

However, I do know that there is more than one php.ini file. There is algo php5.ini and php4.ini which they need to be modified too.

And then restart apache.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mattc0m

Total Posts:  3

I was able to solve my problem by copy and pasting the php.ini file into every folder. I don’t know which one worked, but I placed the php.ini into:

public_html/
public_html/downloader/
public_html/downloader/pearlib/
public_html/downloader/pearlib/php/
public_html/downloader/pearlib/php/OS/

I don’t know which one solved the problem, but if anyone is having trouble with their php.ini just in their public_html and still have the popen error, I suggest putting it in all the folders.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jaycode

/downloader/ folder that is.

IF after copying this file you get fatal error: Uncaught exception ‘Mage_Core_Model_Store_Exception’ etc… error, do the steps posted here: http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/8354/

cheers!

Magento Community
Magento Community

jaycode

bah and now I get 500 internal server error after updating the mods… (I only updated core mods from 1.2.x to 1.3.1)

Magento Community
Magento Community

jaycode

Fixed with this: http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/24346/

Magento Community
Magento Community

Pills

Total Posts:  1

I had the same error “popen() has been disabled” when i was trying to install an extension

Tired copying php.ini (did not work).

Asked my hosting company to enable this (worked straight away)

Magento Community
Magento Community

tSpid3r

Total Posts:  17

jaycode - 27 April 2009 11:35 PM

/downloader/ folder that is.

IF after copying this file you get fatal error: Uncaught exception ‘Mage_Core_Model_Store_Exception’ etc… error, do the steps posted here: http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/8354/

cheers!

This is just to confirm that copying the “php.ini” file in the “downloader” folder has solved my problem:
“popen() disabled...”

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 3