Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Feedback about WIP

deansmitty

Total Posts:  132

Looking for feedback on the site so far. First Magento Site....

I am not a developer simply an HTML Web Designer.

please visit http://www.toycardirect.com

Thank You

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

alistek

Total Posts:  293
Normal, IL

Not a bad start, the Top Links (My account,etc) need to be a different color then light gray, it is impossible to read on that background.  Your footer should most likely expand to the entire width of the center block and also be on the bottom with that extra white space gone.  Other than that, it is a good start.  Just my suggestions!

-Adam

Magento Community
Magento Community

TomC

Total Posts:  191

I agree - You’re off to a very good start.  I like your crisp, clean graphics and type/font choices thus far.

Has it been very difficult for you, thus far, to customize the base template?  (which one did you start with?)

Magento Community
Magento Community

mattdebo

Total Posts:  15

nice job for your 1st try i like it

Magento Community
Magento Community

deansmitty

Total Posts:  132

it has been difficult as I dont know css or php however this is based of the Modern Theme

Magento Community
Magento Community

JoshBelke

Total Posts:  64
NY, NY

"Top Links (My account,etc) need to be a different color then light gray, it is impossible to read on that background.’

I second this.

I am guessing your target audience is hot wheel car collectors.
The home page feels a bit odd.

My wishes:
1) top left logo seated down so the street meets the dividing bar, (your image is 61px in height)
header {boxes.css (line 305)
background:transparent url(../images/header.jpg) no-repeat scroll 0%;
height:70px; <--- change to 61px;
text-align:left;
width:960px;
z-index:999;

2) top links background is darker to divide the top and the bottom, #F2F2F2 url(../images/tabs_bg.gif) repeat-x scroll 0pt 100%
@ http://www.toycardirect.com/skin/frontend/default/modern/images/tabs_bg.gif

3) Swap the center call out with the “this weeks sale” in the middle. (its too high)
http://www.toycardirect.com/flash/grandopening.gif <--> this weeks sales

4) Make the Service Guarantee Text Darker, add a background behind them to visually differentiate the content change.

5) Move the “TOY CAR DIRECT INFORMATION” out of the content area below into the footer, alter color, width, background, spacing.

6) Navigation: Since 68 Subnav (broken)

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community