Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Switching off the shopping cart? 

Gordon_MWS

Total Posts:  18
Scotland

Hi all,

I know this might sound a bit daft having such a well developed and seemless shopping cart and checkout experience, but I would like the ability to use Magento as an online catalog for a couple of projects I am working on. Is it possible to show all the usual product information and attribute comparisons etc, but no ability to add to a cart (and no cart displayed).

I suppose this would also effect the customer’s ‘My Account’ section as well as it would be nice to hide ‘order history’ etc.

Anybody tried this before, or know how I would go about it?

Regards,

Gordon

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

adimagento
Guru

Total Posts:  626
Los Angeles, CA

This feature is not configurable at this time through the admin. It will require some code modifications.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Gordon_MWS

Scotland

adimagento - 04 June 2008 09:35 AM

This feature is not configurable at this time through the admin. It will require some code modifications.

Thanks Adi,

I guessed this might be the case. T would be very useful for a client of mine that wants an online catalog just now and is looking to go full e-commerce at the end of the year. It would be nice just to configure that cart and switch it on when required.

I will have a look at this over the coming weeks and see if I can clearly document what I do in case it is of use to anyone else.

Is this a capability that could be built in to the Admin panel in a future release do you think?

Regards,

Gordon

Magento Community
Magento Community

adimagento
Guru

Los Angeles, CA

It’s very possible. You may want to add this in the feature request forum, just in case.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Anjanesh

Total Posts:  136
Mumbai, India

Same requirement here - I want to just list the products and display the telephone number to order on the product page in place of the “Add to Cart” button.
I will have buy online only after a couple of months.

And interestingly, this too is for a fashion site.

Magento Community
Magento Community

konrous

Total Posts:  4

adimagento - 04 June 2008 09:35 AM

It would be a useful feature. I’m planning to implement Magento 1.1 (EU taxes). It would be great if I could use Magento 1.0 only as an online catalog. Is it possible to reveal us those “code modications”?

Magento Community
Magento Community

adimagento
Guru

Los Angeles, CA

We will be publishing more options for support and consulting packages in the coming week. This may come in handy for many of you.

Magento Community
Magento Community

medienagenten

Total Posts:  12

My need is similar to what has been posted before. Regular visitors should only get the catalogue - there should be no way to order products. Only approved retailers will have a login and should get a basket upon login. Visitors should not be able to register themselves.

Is this possible by now?
Thank you. Cheers from Germany.

Magento Community
Magento Community

gamelodge

Total Posts:  89
Brisbane, Qld, Australia

Yep Me too smile - have a few clients that only want catelogues

Magento Community
Magento Community

jajaklar82

Total Posts:  5

yes that would be a very useful feature

Magento Community
Magento Community

bayli

Total Posts:  6

I can use this feature too.

Magento Community
Magento Community

bharath

Total Posts:  3

any news with this feature .. is this feature made available on 1.6 version of magento .. as i require the same

Magento Community
Magento Community

Gordon_MWS

Scotland

Does anybody have any news on this one?

I have been out of the Magento loop for the last couple of months just wondering if this ever got picked up? I have had a look at the latest features list and roadmap but I can’t see anything relating to it at the moment…

Magento Community
Magento Community

eliko

Total Posts:  1

I did a similar thing with Volusion (http://www.volusion.com). You can hide all relevant links and images, including customer accounts, which are not needed for a catalog. The simplest way to do this (for non-developers) is to substitute text links with a single dot of the same color as the background and images with a 1x1 pixel image that also matches the background. If you know HTML, you may accomplish the same “hiding” strategy through code changes. You can take a look at http://www.focalor.com.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community