Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Sidebar Question (Specifically the “My Cart")

Tropicdeals

Total Posts:  16

Hello,

I posted a question regarding the side bars a few days ago, yet I still have further questions.  Essentially, my objective is to learn how to change the columns on the sidebars.  I went into the Designer’s Guide and thought I had an understanding of what it was explaining.  I went through all the steps that it indicated (in their example to change the “My Cart” box from the right to left). 

My question is, my files are all changed as they have indicated, yet my webiste still has the files on the right side.  I am unsure why this would be.

Currently, I have the website on ‘http://www.extremerose.net/magento’

The following is what I have changed the “My Cart” box code to:

<default>

<!-- 
Mage_Checkout -->
        <
reference name="top.links">
            <
block type="checkout/links" name="checkout_cart_link">
                <
action method="addCartLink"></action>
                <
action method="addCheckoutLink"></action>
            </
block>
        </
reference>
        <
reference name="left">
            <
block type="checkout/cart_sidebar" name="cart_sidebar" before="-" template="checkout/cart/sidebar.phtml"/>
        </
reference>

</default>

<default>

<!-- 
Mage_Checkout -->
        <
reference name="top.links">
            <
block type="checkout/links" name="checkout_cart_link">
                <
action method="addCartLink"></action>
                <
action method="addCheckoutLink"></action>
            </
block>
        </
reference>
        <
reference name="right">
            <
block type="checkout/cart_sidebar" name="cart_sidebar" before="-" template="checkout/cart/sidebar.phtml"/>
        </
reference>

</default>

Thank You,

Brian Meyer

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Tropicdeals

Total Posts:  16

Hello,

Okay, I would like to thank the member ‘sdb’ for creating My Suplemental Design Guide.  I have been banging my head on the wall because I could not figure out, for the life of me, why my boxes were not changing from the left to the right.  It turns out that I have the Cache Management turned ON.  Nowhere in the designer’s guide does it mention Cache Management (and If I am incorrect on this, I do apologize).

Thanks,

Brian

Magento Community
Magento Community

Michae1
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  826

Just for the people who will be looking in this thread:

Step ONE of Building Your Theme section in the Designer’s Guide:

ONE: Disable your system cache

In order to prepare your Magento for production, you need to first disable system cache by going to the Administration Panel (http://yourhost.com/admin) and navigating to System -> Cache Management. Select ‘Disable’ from the ‘All Cache’ select boxe and click on save. Doing this will ensure that you see a faithful reflection of your store front as you make the changes.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community