point taken. I do truly believe that if you know how to do something & are taking advantage of other people’s free help, you should also contribute for free to the community. I believe in freedom of information. I’m actually in the process of hiring a developer to write a Google Base PHP script for me, and I will post it for free. Why? Because that’s the right thing to do.. because it will help others.. because I would be an ass to keep it secret for myself.
Cool. Cause I was going to take time out of my busy schedule to finish up the GoogleBase module, but now it looks like I don’t have to.
Now I can go back to working on my order manager/fulfillment system.
Thank you for posting this. It seems to work somewhat for me (version 1.1.4).
I should have my script ready to post soon - I’ve hired someone and their estimated completion time is 1 week as they’re doing other projects too. So hopefully between Edge’s script and my script, everyone will have a working Base export
This did not work for me, this code and the code at the bigging of this forum did not create links with sub categories, so if the product is at yoursite/garmin/gps/product.html the google feed just does yoursite/product.html (actually anything not on the front page should look like this mysite/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/88/s/samle-product/category/19/)
with the code below I get http://www.mysite.com/googlefeed.php/sampleproduct.html any ideas?
edge - 14 September 2008 08:33 PM
For anyone having trouble with db’s script in the latest versions of Magento, see if this works for you:
Glad to hear that, for some reason since the 16th September my datafeed has not been working, I’ve been getting an error from Google Base stating “We’re having trouble reaching your site.” but it works fine through a browser or opening the address in Excel. I contacted Google and they say they do not support php but I’ve asked them to explain how it was working before. As usual with Google, a long delay between communication so 2 emails have been achieved in the last few days and nothing resolved yet.
The feed seemed to work ok for those who had all there products posted in the main category. The feed did not work for products in sub categories. The issue is that in the code, it lets you specify the base url and then it adds the product.html on the end. when you have more that one category, you cant insert the base url + category for all items. I hope this gets figured out. Varien should really work this into its code and not make us have to edit it ourselves. Other open source programs like oscommerce, zencart, and virtuecart, all have this feature with an easy to use import/ export program. I do think that magneto has a stronger back bone than these other programs, its just lacking some very essential features for an ecommerce solution.
It looks like it’s spitting out your data to PHP instead of a TXT file. We used something similar with osCommerce, you’d manually run a PHP file and it would generate a TXT file. you’d then tell Google the location of that TXT file and all was well
I had hoped to have something to post by today, but alas there are delays because of my lack of explaining to the developer exactly what I was looking for. We’re working through it
Full credit goes to ANDA for the hard work to get this script done.
Please, PLEASE consider doing the same thing I did if you have the funds to do so. It benefits everyone.
Notes on the script - create an “export” folder in your root directory. Drop the lines of code above into a PHP file and run it on your server. It work son my setup, but remember that you run this at your own risk. It works 100% for me, 5000 products, with no issues. If it kills your server, you’ve been warned!
And, by all means, modify and improve on it as you see fit. It benefits everyone Just give credit where credit is due (Anda).