Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Single Page Checkout Too Complex

markf

Total Posts:  145

Magentos version of Single Page Checkout is pretty nice, but it kind of missed the whole point of a single page checkout.  What I mean by this is that after each section you fill out you have to click continue and a new section appears.  Just like in a traditional checkout scenario where you click next and you go to a new page.  Yes you remain on the same page technically, but you are still clicking next after each action and moving along to different content and hiding that past section. 

If you want to see a TRUE implementation of a single page checkout, take a look at panic.com/goods and you will see how much more simple and fluid the process can be.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

i960
Guru

Total Posts:  633
Bakersfield, CA

That site doesn’t give you any shipping options and only one payment method.  Once you add all of that in it can really lengthen the page, and possibly overwhelm the customer.  I like the way Magento does it.  It’s still a single page, but they hide things that you don’t need to worry about at the moment.  It allows the customer to focus on what they need to do.

If you have less options for the customer to select, then I can see having it all displayed at once.  I’m sure Magento can be modified to work that way.

Magento Community
Magento Community

YoavKutner
Guru

Total Posts:  491

A lot of the reasons we ended up doing the one-page-checkout the way it is, are for simplifying the page by keeping the customer focused on the immediate step that needs attention. Further more, the more “simple” the page is it requires more fancy JavaScript/Ajax work which makes it harder to maintain across the different browsers (your example site does not work for me on IE 6 at all, and I am not able to checkout). This said, as Magneto becomes more stable we will add different checkout options including non javascript based checkout and more advanced Ajax checkouts.

Thanks

yoav

Magento Community
Magento Community

markf

Total Posts:  145

Thanks for the reply, I can see some of your points, it just seemed like a bit too many clicks.  About the other site, it worked fine for me in IE 6.

Magento Community
Magento Community

YoavKutner
Guru

Total Posts:  491

I will try again

thanks

yoav

Magento Community
Magento Community

actionhans

Total Posts:  4

after looking at panic.com/goods I do agree with markf. I am trying to upgrade my current site to magento, but for my application the magento page offers much too many options for the checkout process. Every click translates into sometimes significant wait time for the next section of the page to appear. I am afraid I will lose the customer in the process.
Is there an easy way to simulate the panic.com site with magento?

Magento Community
Magento Community

invaderflid

Total Posts:  59
Northport Long Island New York

Ignore this post, retracted my statement.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Webkrebse

Total Posts:  40
Germany

actionhans - 27 November 2008 08:35 AM

… Every click translates into sometimes significant wait time for the next section of the page to appear. I am afraid I will lose the customer in the process. Is there an easy way to simulate the panic.com site with magento?

I agree with you. Our goal is to simplify the checkout process as much as possible. Hence we offer only one payment method and one shipping method. We do not want the customer to select a single option and submit the step in these two cases.

Is there any possibility to skip a checkout step, if there is only a single option? At least, how to avoid forcing the customer to select a singe option manually?

--- Thanks ---

Magento Community
Magento Community

AITOC
Guru

Total Posts:  618
US

Hi, we believe our new 1-Click Order extension http://www.magentocommerce.com/extension/1196/1-click-order can improve user experience and simplify the purchasing process.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community