Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Product Discounts

Mark G

Total Posts:  2

I have just downloaded and installed Magento and really want to test some of the things I need for myself. Unfortunately, the product is extremely slow and I can’t get the testing done in a reasonable amount of time (which is a major concern!). Here is a key scenario we need our website to handle:

One of the main products we sell is embroidery thread. Most thread brands have about a dozen major categories (rayon, polyester, cotton, metallic, etc). Within one of those categories, we have 500 different colors of thread in two different sizes. People buy based on color and will often mix the 1100 yard spools and the 5500 yard spools on a single order. We offer discounts based on the quantity of a certain size in a certain category within a certain brand. So, if a customer orders any combination of 1100 yard spools in Brand X Rayon thread as follows they get the discount:

1 to 15 spools are $4.20 each
16 to 30 spools are $4.05 each
31 or more spools are $3.95 each

Using the same colors in 5500 yard spools, they get the following discounts:

1 to 15 spools are $11.00 each
16 to 30 spools are $10.75 each
31 or more spools are $10.50 each

The thread has different prefixes based on the type and size. For instance, the 1100 yard spools might be RAR11-xxxx where xxxx is the color number. The 5500 yard spools might be RAR55-xxxx.

Can Magento handle this? Thanks for your help!

Mark Grigsby
Discount Embroidery Supply
www.discountembroiderysupply.com

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

adimagento
Guru

Total Posts:  626
Los Angeles, CA

Hello Mark,

Unfortunately this is more complex than the tier pricing we offer currently with Magento.

With both Tier Pricing and Price Rules functionality you will run into a problem because of different shopping cart line items.

This will require some customization of the code.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mark G

Total Posts:  2

Thanks for your reply on my Product Discounts posting. Can you help me understand a little better what part of this scenario wouldn’t work and some idea on what kind of customization this would require?

Thanks!
Mark Grigsby
Discount Embroidery Supply
www.discountembroiderysupply.com

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community