Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Interface for Callouts/Images in Coluimns and Content

GSmith

Total Posts:  6

Hey,

I’m trying to work out whether Magento is something I want to use for clients’ sites in the future. I’m blown away by how clean the backend is compared to every other piece of software I’ve tried (*cough* zencart *cough*), and there are many things I love thus far about the system, but there’s one area that I’m still not totally clear on. I’d like to confirm what kind of interface, if any, exists for modifying callout images in the left and right columns and content. I know how to do this through the XML, but this may stand as an issue for clients without any understanding of XML (or any language or that matter). I do understand how landing page static blocks work but I haven’t seen any connection between that function and the images I’m talking about.

So, for example, if I wanted to change the two attached areas of images from the sample content install, am I limited to doing so through the code?

I’d appreciate your input on this, and thank you for your time!

Gavin

Image Attachments
magento1.pngmagento2.png

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

adimagento
Guru

Total Posts:  626
Los Angeles, CA

These callouts can be changed through the CMS in the Admin.

Magento Community
Magento Community

GSmith

adimagento - 02 June 2008 10:39 AM

These callouts can be changed through the CMS in the Admin.

I just came across that, actually (that ‘Home’ as listed as a page there). That clears a lot up. There still exists no way to change images through an interface, however, rather than the PHP/HTML for that page? I’d like to make things as easy as possible for clients, obviously. Would you happen to know if this is a pending feature? I would think it is, but if not, I’d gladly submit the request. So far that’s one of the only disadvantages I can find.

Thanks for the response!

Magento Community
Magento Community

adimagento
Guru

Total Posts:  626
Los Angeles, CA

Callout images can be uploaded manually to the server but not through the admin at this time. Once the callout graphic is live you may reference it using the static blocks code in the admin. This feature is not currently on the roadmap but you are more than welcome to add it as a request in the Requested Features forum.

Magento Community
Magento Community

GSmith

adimagento - 02 June 2008 11:13 AM

Callout images can be uploaded manually to the server but not through the admin at this time. Once the callout graphic is live you may reference it using the static blocks code in the admin. This feature is not currently on the roadmap but you are more than welcome to add it as a request in the Requested Features forum.

Okay, great. Thank you very much for your time!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Paul Whipp

Total Posts:  48

Picking up on an old post but I’m using 1.4.01 and I have a new site. Going to CMS in admin does not show me the backtoschool or callus demo callouts any where that I can see. Can you tell me how to access and modify or remove them from admin?

Magento Community
Magento Community

matt1237

Total Posts:  70
Washington State

\"Paul -

Picking up on an old post but I\’m using 1.4.01 and I have a new site. Going to CMS in admin does not show me the backtoschool or callus demo callouts any where that I can see. Can you tell me how to access and modify or remove them from admin?

You can remove them using this XML which I placed in a custom file in my theme called local.xml so I can keep all my edits in one place.

../layout/local.xml

<layout>
    <default>
        <
remove name=\"left.permanent.callout\" />
        <
remove name=\"right.permanent.callout\" />
    </default>
</
layout>

Magento Community