Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
How do I add or remove manufacturers? 

jeff.d

Total Posts:  103

I’m trying to edit the list of manufactures and I’m not exactly sure how to do it. I’ve tried modifying the eav_attribute_option tables but the new entries I make don’t show up in the list (on the general product info tab).

thanks

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

00christian00

Total Posts:  87

Why don’t you simply edit the manufacturer attribute under the admin interface?! catalog->attributes->manage attributes

Magento Community
Magento Community

jeff.d

Total Posts:  103

I need to add around 200 entries and was hoping for an automated way to do it.

thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

Pearl Digital

Total Posts:  1

Hi, I am new to Magento.  I have been trying to add new manufactures.  I have tried looking at the catalog->attributes->manage attributes/catalog->attributes manufactures.

I don’t see a way to add maunfactors to the drop down list.  Curretly I don’t have any in the drop down.  I am also looking to add colors to the drop down area too,

I think you in advance for any help you can give.  I am very new to magento so as mauch detail you can give would be very helpful

Kevin

Magento Community
Magento Community

necromancer

Total Posts:  23

Looks like magento free support kinda sucks compared with osc, but still I think I can help you (btw, my Magento is in Portuguese so my translation may be different, but I think you can do it):
Under Admin Panel, Go to Catalog -> Attributes -> Manage Attributes

Select Manufacturer and on the next screen at the Left side, you should see something like “Manage Labels / Options”
Right there you should see a button +Add Option

There ya go.

Magento Community
Magento Community

eliteeternity

Total Posts:  74

What necromancer says is true, but I knew that, I just didn’t notice that I had 3 more pages to go. For hells sake, I just didn’t click “next page” to find my manufacturer attribute.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Alessandro Perrone

Total Posts:  13

I got it by editing in catalog->attributes->manage attributes as you told before and selecting the Manage labels/options tab: there you can add a new option and specify the manufacturer, the view where it applies and the position where it will be displayed in the combobox.

Hope this can help.

Magento Community
Magento Community

batman

Total Posts:  8

Does anyone know of a way to automatically load up the manufacture attribute?

I need to enter over 200 and was hoping there might be an option in import/export, but there does not appear to be anything there for attributes.

Magento Community
Magento Community

barrmy

Total Posts:  102

batman,

Run something similar to this SQL script on your db via phpmyadmin or another tool
NOTE : DROP/CREATETABLE will delete and recreate the whole table, don’t use that paragraph if you only want to INSERT content.

DROP TABLE IF EXISTS `mag_eav_attribute_option_value`;
CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS `mag_eav_attribute_option_value` (
  `
value_idint(10unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment,
  `
option_idint(10unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
  `
store_idsmallint(5unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
  `
valuevarchar(255NOT NULL default '',

PRIMARY KEY  (`value_id`),

KEY `FK_ATTRIBUTE_OPTION_VALUE_OPTION` (`option_id`),

KEY `FK_ATTRIBUTE_OPTION_VALUE_STORE` (`store_id`)
ENGINE=InnoDB DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8 COMMENT='Attribute option values per store' AUTO_INCREMENT=;

--
-- 
Dumping data for table `mag_eav_attribute_option_value`
--

INSERT INTO `mag_eav_attribute_option_value` (`value_id`, `option_id`, `store_id`, `value`) VALUES
(110'Test1'),
(
220'Test2'),
(
330'Test3');

DROP TABLE IF EXISTS `mag_eav_attribute_option`;
CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS `mag_eav_attribute_option` (
  `
option_idint(10unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment,
  `
attribute_idsmallint(5unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
  `
sort_ordersmallint(5unsigned NOT NULL default '0',

PRIMARY KEY  (`option_id`),

KEY `FK_ATTRIBUTE_OPTION_ATTRIBUTE` (`attribute_id`)
ENGINE=InnoDB DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8 COMMENT='Attributes option (for source model)' AUTO_INCREMENT=;

--
-- 
Dumping data for table `mag_eav_attribute_option`
--

INSERT INTO `mag_eav_attribute_option` (`option_id`, `attribute_id`, `sort_order`) VALUES
(1650),
(
2650),
(
3650);

Personally, I loaded all my manufacturers into excel, created the option and attribute ids, and used CONCATENATE to create the text string needed - (1, 1, 0, ‘Other’).  I also skipped option IDs by 5 (so 1,5,10,15,20) if I needed to slot in a manufacturer over time.

Magento Community
Magento Community

TapTapper

Total Posts:  21
Hudson Valley, NY, US

barmy, that’s brilliant!  thanks, I’m going to try it out now.

Do you know if it’s possible to create the categories with sql?  I’ve created 8 root categories manually, and I’ll be adding around 200 sub cats to them.

Magento Community
Magento Community

TapTapper

Hudson Valley, NY, US

barrmy - 26 September 2008 10:58 AM

batman,
Run something similar to this SQL script on your db via phpmyadmin or another tool
Personally, I loaded all my manufacturers into excel, created the option and attribute ids, and used CONCATENATE to create the text string needed - (1, 1, 0, ‘Other’).  I also skipped option IDs by 5 (so 1,5,10,15,20) if I needed to slot in a manufacturer over time.

Thanks BARMY!  Works perfectly. 

A couple changes for others to look out for:

My mfrs are attribute ID #66 instead of #65.
If it’s a new store, add a couple mfrs manually then check the tables in the DB to get the correct store IDs, table names, and attribute ID for manufacturers.  And of course, you don’t have to do the value_id in eav_attribute_option_value, the db inserts it for you.

I concatenated this in XL, worked perfectly.  150+ mfrs added in no time.
xxx is the mfr id (I have 1-180).  66 is the id of the mfr attribute in my setup.  eav_attribute_option_value has one entry for each store (my stores are 0, 1 and 2 in the db)

INSERT INTO eav_attribute_option (option_id, attribute_id, sort_order) VALUES (xxx, 66,0);
INSERT INTO eav_attribute_option_value ( option_id, store_id, value) VALUES (xxx, 0, ‘Mfr Name’);
INSERT INTO eav_attribute_option_value ( option_id, store_id, value) VALUES (xxx, 1, ‘Mfr Name’);
INSERT INTO eav_attribute_option_value ( option_id, store_id, value) VALUES (xxx, 2, ‘Mfr Name’);

Magento Community
Magento Community

MacKniven

Total Posts:  51

TapTapper - 27 September 2008 01:13 PM

INSERT INTO eav_attribute_option (option_id, attribute_id, sort_order) VALUES (xxx, 66,0);
INSERT INTO eav_attribute_option_value ( option_id, store_id, value) VALUES (xxx, 0, ‘Mfr Name’);
INSERT INTO eav_attribute_option_value ( option_id, store_id, value) VALUES (xxx, 1, ‘Mfr Name’);
INSERT INTO eav_attribute_option_value ( option_id, store_id, value) VALUES (xxx, 2, ‘Mfr Name’);

Thanks guys, this worked great for me (mfr id was 66 in my installation to).

Did anyone use this kind of technique for the importing of categories?

Magento Community
Magento Community

TapTapper

Hudson Valley, NY, US

I looked around a lot for something like that, even spent time harassing the guys in live chat.  I don’t think it can be done easily.  Looks like you’d need kinda deep API knowledge.

I have over 340 categories so believe me I REALLY didn’t want to make them by hand.  But, in the end, that’s what I did.  Took a few hours but once it’s done you’re all set.  And nothing beats the drag-and-drop cat management feature!  Beats the hell out of the other carts out there.

Happy New Year

Magento Community
Magento Community

chanchel

Total Posts:  43

I am having a problem with my mfgs attribute.  Similarly, I have over 300 mfgs and we had to add them through SQL, now when I go into the admin and try to manually edit any feature with the manufacturers attribute it won’t save and kicks me back to the dashboard.  I believe this same problem is not allowing me to clear cache. Has anyone else seen this or have a possible solution?  Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

boomography

Total Posts:  14
Madeira Beach, FL

Can anyone provide an example of how to add manufactures programmatically?  We need to add manufacturers on the fly.

Magento Community
Magento Community

bmann

Total Posts:  14

I’ve looked all over for this information too.  I sure wish Magento would come up with some developer docs.  Also, would be nice if they would update their phpdocs too.  I’m about 90% of the way in figuring this out.  However I can’t seem to get the record added to the eav_attribute_option_value table.  I would like to point out too that I want to do this the correct way through their API.  I caution anyone who starts adding records directly to a database in a cms system.  Its always best to use the software api’s.

Here is what I have so far…

$attr = Mage::getModel(’eav/entity_attribute_option’);
$attribute = array(
‘attribute_id’ => 66,
‘sort_order’ => 0
);
$attr->setData($attribute);
$attr->save();

but just not sure what the structure needs to look like for getting the value to be added

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2