Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Error on 1.4.0.1 upgrade

Amin Amini

Total Posts:  67
Sweden, Stockholm

Tried to upgrade our 1.3.x magento store to 1.4.0.1 using the manager and managed to bork up the entire store. What happened was that the manager go stuck when upgrading some core modules and, upon reloading the manager, I got the following error (displayed instead of any admin/front end page):

Fatal error: Class 'Zend_Db' not found in /home/example.com/public_html/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Resource/Type/Db/Pdo/Mysql.php on line 62
I’m thinking it must be possible to manually upgrade to the 1.4.0.1 by manually fixing the db or files. But this also seems risky.

Any ideas what could be the problem and how to solve it? Thank you.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Amin Amini

Sweden, Stockholm

I decided to upgrade magento through the terminal by running:

./pear upgrade-all
Here’s the error message I got:

Will upgrade channel://connect.magentocommerce.com/core/interface_adminhtml_default
Will upgrade channel://connect.magentocommerce.com/core/interface_frontend_default_blank
Will upgrade channel://connect.magentocommerce.com/core/interface_frontend_default
Will upgrade channel://connect.magentocommerce.com/core/mage_core_modules
Will upgrade channel://connect.magentocommerce.com/core/interface_install_default
Will upgrade channel://connect.magentocommerce.com/core/mage_core_adminhtml
Will upgrade channel://connect.magentocommerce.com/core/lib_varien
Will upgrade channel://connect.magentocommerce.com/core/lib_zf
magento-core/interface_frontend_blank requires package "magento-core/Mage_Core_Modules" (version >= 1.3.2.2version <= 1.3.3excluded versions1.3.3), downloaded version is 1.4.0.1
magento
-core/Mage_Core_Modules cannot be installedconflicts with installed packages
magento
-core/Interface_Frontend_Default_Blank requires package "magento-core/Mage_Core_Modules" (version >= 1.4.0.0version <= 1.4.1excluded versions1.4.1), installed version is 1.3.2.4
magento
-core/Interface_Frontend_Default requires package "magento-core/Mage_Core_Modules" (version >= 1.4.0.0version <= 1.4.1excluded versions1.4.1), installed version is 1.3.2.4
magento
-core/Interface_Install_Default requires package "magento-core/Mage_Core_Modules" (version >= 1.4.0.1version <= 1.4.1excluded versions1.4.1), installed version is 1.3.2.4
magento
-core/Mage_Core_Adminhtml requires package "magento-core/Mage_Core_Modules" (version >= 1.4.0.1version <= 1.4.0.1), installed version is 1.3.2.4
magento
-core/Interface_Adminhtml_Default requires package "magento-core/Mage_Core_Adminhtml" (version >= 1.4.0.1version <= 1.4.0.2excluded versions1.4.0.2), installed version is 1.3.2.4
magento
-core/mage_core_modules requires package "magento-core/Lib_Varien" (version >= 1.3.2.2version <= 1.3.3excluded versions1.3.3), downloaded version is 1.4.0.0
magento
-core/Lib_Varien cannot be installedconflicts with installed packages
magento
-core/lib_varien requires package "magento-core/Lib_ZF" (version >= 1.7.2.4version <= 1.7.3excluded versions1.7.3), downloaded version is 1.9.6.0
magento
-core/Lib_ZF cannot be installedconflicts with installed packages
No valid packages found

Release Warnings
================
u

u
-bash-2.05b$
There seems to be an incompability between modules, but I’m not sure if I should disable some modules and then enable the one with most dependencies. Any ideas?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Amin Amini

Sweden, Stockholm

I ran the following commands per this post:

./pear install -f magento-core/Mage_All_Latest
./pear install -f magento-core/Mage_Core_Modules
./pear upgrade-all
It sorta works; the admin page actually loads but when trying to log in, I get the following error:
There has been an error processing your request

Exception printing is disabled by 
default for security reasons.

Error log record number1266321340
The corresponding error report contains:
a:5:{i:0;s:31:"Invalid mode for clean() method";i:1;s:3027:"#0 /home/example.com/app/code/core/Zend/Cache/Backend/File.php(532): Zend_Cache::throwException('Invalid mode fo...')
#1 /home/example.com/app/code/core/Zend/Cache/Backend/File.php(538): Zend_Cache_Backend_File->_clean('/home/userC/c09...', 'matchingAnyTag', Array)
#2 /home/example.com/app/code/core/Zend/Cache/Backend/File.php(279): Zend_Cache_Backend_File->_clean('/home/userC/c09...', 'matchingAnyTag', Array)
#3 /home/example.com/lib/Zend/Cache/Core.php(452): Zend_Cache_Backend_File->clean('matchingAnyTag', Array)
#4 /home/example.com/lib/Varien/Cache/Core.php(100): Zend_Cache_Core->clean('matchingAnyTag', Array)
#5 /home/example.com/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Cache.php(376): Varien_Cache_Core->clean('matchingAnyTag', Array)
#6 /home/example.com/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/App.php(1088): Mage_Core_Model_Cache->clean(Array)
#7 /home/example.com/app/code/core/Mage/Adminhtml/Model/Url.php(167): Mage_Core_Model_App->cleanCache(Array)
#8 /home/example.com/app/code/core/Mage/Admin/Model/Session.php(95): Mage_Adminhtml_Model_Url->renewSecretUrls()
#9 /home/example.com/app/code/core/Mage/Admin/Model/Observer.php(55): Mage_Admin_Model_Session->login('admin', 'kA=:z#s>Pna|', Object(Mage_Core_Controller_Request_Http))
#10 /home/example.com/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/App.php(1207): Mage_Admin_Model_Observer->actionPreDispatchAdmin(Object(Varien_Event_Observer))
#11 /home/example.com/app/Mage.php(416): Mage_Core_Model_App->dispatchEvent('controller_acti...', Array)
#12 /home/example.com/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Action.php(497): Mage::dispatchEvent('controller_acti...', Array)
#13 /home/example.com/app/code/core/Mage/Adminhtml/Controller/Action.php(152): Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Action->preDispatch()
#14 /home/example.com/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Action.php(407): Mage_Adminhtml_Controller_Action->preDispatch()
#15 /home/example.com/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Router/Standard.php(254): Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Action->dispatch('index')
#16 /home/example.com/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Front.php(177): Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Router_Standard->match(Object(Mage_Core_Controller_Request_Http))
#17 /home/example.com/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/App.php(304): Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Front->dispatch()
#18 /home/example.com/app/Mage.php(596): Mage_Core_Model_App->run(Array)
#19 /home/example.com/index.php(78): Mage::run('', 'store')
#20 {main}"
;s:3:"url";s:7:"/admin/";s:11:"script_name";s:10:"/index.php";s:4:"skin";s:5:"admin";}

So why is clean() acting up? Maybe caches needs to be cleared and egos stroked? To be continued!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Shaun Ohagan

Total Posts:  34
UK

I have “successfully” upgraded 1.3.2.1 to 1.4.0.1 keeping my old data intact.

NB this doesn’t cover any theme issues which is a different story.

what I did was this

1) copy up new magento.zip
2) rename existing magento folder to magento.old
3) unzip magento.zip to recreate the magento folder but off course now containing 1.4.0.1 code
4) ensure I was armed with my existing database details (look in /app/etc/local.xml of your existing installation)
5) copy up and run the magento-cleanup.php script (just google this for more info)
6) go to your original shop URL and you should then be redirected to the installation page once magento sees it is a new release
7) do the installation as usual and magento should update your existing db and install.
8) rebuild all indexes so you can see your products.

NB when I say “successfully” I currently don’t have my images showing.  I think I’ll just be able to copy them from the old folder location to the new folder - I’ll see.

One hickup I saw was that I had used prefixes on the database table names in the previous installation so remember to put that same prefix in the installation sequence or magento just creates new tables and doesn’t reuse the existing ones.

Moral of the story is don’t use connect manager to update just FTP the release up there.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Amin Amini

Sweden, Stockholm

It’s solved. I followed the instructions in this post by Tobias Schifftner:

There seems to be a bug in Zend_Cache or at least it doesn’t work on all ServersMost people get it working by deleting the following folder
app/code/core/Zend/Cache 

Use google for more information.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Amin Amini

Sweden, Stockholm

Shaun Ohagan - 11 March 2010 05:23 AM

I have “successfully” upgraded 1.3.2.1 to 1.4.0.1 keeping my old data intact.

NB this doesn’t cover any theme issues which is a different story.

what I did was this

1) copy up new magento.zip
2) rename existing magento folder to magento.old
3) unzip magento.zip to recreate the magento folder but off course now containing 1.4.0.1 code
4) ensure I was armed with my existing database details (look in /app/etc/local.xml of your existing installation)
5) copy up and run the magento-cleanup.php script (just google this for more info)
6) go to your original shop URL and you should then be redirected to the installation page once magento sees it is a new release
7) do the installation as usual and magento should update your existing db and install.
8) rebuild all indexes so you can see your products.

NB when I say “successfully” I currently don’t have my images showing.  I think I’ll just be able to copy them from the old folder location to the new folder - I’ll see.

One hickup I saw was that I had used prefixes on the database table names in the previous installation so remember to put that same prefix in the installation sequence or magento just creates new tables and doesn’t reuse the existing ones.

Moral of the story is don’t use connect manager to update just FTP the release up there.

Thanks for sharing your update process, Shaun. I’m actually writing down an update plan to minimize troubles, so it’s pretty relevant.

Also, I’ve finally accepted that the Manager shouldn’t be used for upgrades, it’s just to fragile and will time-out randomly, which can result in corrupted files and what not. Command-line ftw!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community