Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Poll
How much would you be willing to contribute?
$100 or More 12
$50-99 4
$25-50 2
$1-25 1
I wouldn’t contribute 1
Total Votes: 20
You must be a logged-in member to vote
Donation Fund for Custom Work Done - Would you contribute? 

Napier

Total Posts:  47

My question is quite simple - there are a lot of custom requests for add-ons to be made… if Varien were to setup a donation fund that would basically pay for a developer to custom-develop advanced components to add-on to your Magento system (based on popularity of requests) would you donate some money to see the faster development of Magento?

I am prepared, if this system is implemented, to make a donation of at least $200-500.

Features I would like to see implemented by a donation fund:

- Custom User-Registration Fields
- Dropship/Multiple Vendor/Store Owner System
- Strong Affiliation System
- “Create Your Own Store” feature
- Mail-In Rebate / “Form Required upon checkout” feature / Custom Checkout fields based on product in cart
- Seperate Store/Warehouse inventory (POS system for retail stores integrated with Magento)
- Custom Magento-Themed(with magento include buttons) WYSIWIG Text Editor (Example: ability to click “Show Products - Category “LRG” - Priced $20-30 0- Grid View on any page or “Show Products - New - list view” or “Show Products - _attribute name_” etc)

What do you guys think?  I think if everyone contributed $25-$100 we could see some SERIOUS development for Magento.

If something was implemented - I would think it would be polled in the forums for the next project - then a donation would be setup for that specific feature (one that wouldnt officially be introduced for many months or that isnt on the current roadmap) - once that feature is setup we would go on to the next one.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Napier

So we have a lot of people saying they would contribute -what would be your optimum choice… make a pledge and what, using the money you pledge you would most lke to see made…

obviously a system would have to be made to insure that the most popular systems are being made first.  I have begun to put the team together that can make this happen (with our without official varien support).

im going to put together a very large list of “objectives” so please feel free to email me with your ideas/suggestions (or reply to this thread with them)

I am going to begin paying for these extra extensions for myself either way… obviously the speed at which they are created depends on donations - as I do not have an unlimited income here!

All extensions created will become either “commercial” or “community” based on the contribution level… no matter what all contributors will get the extensions made free (to a certain extent… someone that donates $1 doesn’t exactly get every download free).

By myself, I would say one extension every 2-3 months can be achieved… with your help every 2 weeks to a month!  If Varien supports it I would be more then happy NOT to run this program (as I don’t have all the time in the world)… however, it’s clear Magento needs a kick in the butt to see development start to roll!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Napier

bump bmp bump

Magento Community
Magento Community

Napier

I say we set something up like a “Magento Development Fund” - Varien takes donations and agrees to match the donations or something like that… so right now by the polls we are looking at $675 - match that to $1350 (not to mention I am sure that would rise quite a bit) - I would donate around $300-500 so more then that for sure…

We start a contest to develop extensions for Magento (similar to the Google Android Developers Contest) - and get a panel of judges who are helpful on the Magento forums.  People develop for Magento their best and most innovative extensions and the winners receive a certain percentage of the total winnings (I would hope to get our total dollar ammount up to around $20,000 or so)

All extensions made (winner or loser) are to be provided via Magento Connect per the agreement to enter the contest (if you lose, you can offer it for a fee… if you win it should probably be free)

What do you guys think?  Let’s do this!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community