Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
How is ‘Best Value’ on the Category Pages Defined? 

Eminent Style

Total Posts:  86
Bromsgrove, United Kingdom

My category pages by default are sorted by ‘Best Value’ but I don’t understand how this is calculated. The products are not sorted by price so what constitutes best value? I have a feeling this might be starting me in the face (not enough caffeine and too much staring at the screen I think).

Also is there a way to choose name or price by default?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

pixelpusher

Total Posts:  135
SoCal

I’ve been wondering about this too. I’ve tested it out with some reviews and ratings but that seems to have no effect on the sorting. Its strange because ascending or descending the list makes no difference. Seems to be completely random.

Magento Community
Magento Community

sdb

Total Posts:  223
coastal California, USA

here’s how to change the sort order

http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/1176/

i have no clue how best value is calculated. would be interesting to know though.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Eminent Style

pixelpusher - 01 June 2008 02:03 PM

I’ve been wondering about this too. I’ve tested it out with some reviews and ratings but that seems to have no effect on the sorting. Its strange because ascending or descending the list makes no difference. Seems to be completely random.

I agree, I have tried a few things and it makes no difference. It does just seem to be random or the order the product was added? Can any of the Magento developers (or anyone else in fact) shed some light on this?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Eminent Style

sdb - 02 June 2008 08:25 AM

here’s how to change the sort order

http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/1176/

i have no clue how best value is calculated. would be interesting to know though.

Thanks, might just move it around till its a little clearer.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Matt Puchlerz

Total Posts:  15
Lisle, IL

Hey everybody. I’m not sure if you’ve figured this out already, but I thought I’d chime in.

“Best Value” is really just a marketing-friendly to describe “putting products in the order that the store wants you to see them.” As noted in other threads, the order parameter in the URL becomes position when you sort by Best Value. Seeing this, I realized that there must have been a position attribute somewhere within the Admin.

[list=1]
[*]Go to Catalog → Manage Categories
[*]Edit a category that has products
[*]Open the “Category Products” tab to view all the category’s associated products
[/list]

Low and behold, the position attribute at the far right of the table. By default, they are all set to 0. Therefore if you modify a product’s position to be a higher number, you’ll see the product move further back in the product list on a category page. Note that it also seems to order by position first, then by product ID.

So if you didn’t know about this feature, be sure to tell your marketing department—they’ll be sure to give you a high-five. They love doing that stuff.

Magento Community
Magento Community

pixelpusher

SoCal

Thanks Matt! Good find.

Magento Community
Magento Community

sdb

Total Posts:  223
coastal California, USA

nice! im glad to have that question answered.

Magento Community
Magento Community

doctorlogos

Total Posts:  178

Ok. Now I understand that sort by “Best Value” is controlled from the Manage Category > Products tab.

But, what happen with the products ratings???

I think everybody is considering that “Best Value” refers to “Ratings / Reviews”.

How can I sort my products by stars value?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Kara Heinrichs
Guru

Total Posts:  482
aa, mi, us

The problem with “best value” sorting (near as I can figure anyway) is that while you can manually set the order of products on your defined category pages, you cannot do so for the dynamically generated pages. So when a user filters using layered navigation or does a search, it defaults to near random ordering of the products.  Has anybody figured out the right syntax or file to tell it to sort by ascending “best value” but to sort by descending price if no “best value"/position is defined?

Magento Community
Magento Community

chiaraweb
Guru

Total Posts:  721
Aviano ~ Italy

Sort by best value in this moment for me means that magento put in the first position the first product I created.
Then it seems that the order is the number of ID in database!

Please check and let me know!

Magento Community
Magento Community

pixelpusher

SoCal

@chiaraweb
Yes the product ID seems to be the default sort value if all product positions are set to “0”

@ everyone else
I got “best value” all set up in my category views and it works great, until you edit a product. Once any saves are done to the product it gets bumped up the list to the top. All thats needed to revert your best value order is to go in and edit the category and resave it (no changes needed just save).

Can anyone else confirm this behavior? Please let me know.

Magento Community
Magento Community

rabideau

Total Posts:  28

Without being too picky (something I’m actually good at...) does anyone know how to change the default from “Best Value” to “Name” or “Price”?

Magento Community
Magento Community

pezomatic

Total Posts:  190

How can I change the words “Best Value” to something more appropriate for what we are selling?

The term “Best Value” is a bit misleading for our products. I would prefer to use the term “Top Sellers” or “Newest”.

Magento Community
Magento Community

pezomatic

Total Posts:  190

pezomatic - 28 November 2008 11:13 PM

How can I change the words “Best Value” to something more appropriate for what we are selling?

The term “Best Value” is a bit misleading for our products. I would prefer to use the term “Top Sellers” or “Newest”.

This is stored in the “Toolbar.php” file (see path in screen capture below.

Original

$this->_availableOrder = array(

'position'  => $this->__('Best Value'),

'name'      => $this->__('Name'),

'price'     => $this->__('Price')

Modified

$this->_availableOrder = array(

'position'  => $this->__('Vegan Order'),

'name'      => $this->__('Name'),

'price'     => $this->__('Price')
Image Attachments
custom_magento_sort_text.gifvegan_order.gif

Magento Community
Magento Community

jimmypalmer

Total Posts:  79

does anyone know if this value ("best value” sort value) can be accessed through web services?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2