Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Add new layouts (page/*.phtml files) and make them appear in admin CMS and Cateory dropdowns

Dan Orsborne

Total Posts:  72

If you want to create a new template and get it to appear in the dropdowns first create the new phtml file in the app\design\frontend\OC\default\template\page folder. I’ll call it homepage.phtml for this example.  I would like this template to be used on the home cateogry so I need to open app\code\core\Mage\Cms\etc\config.xml and edit the following code:

<cms>
            <
layouts>
                <empty><
label>Empty</label><template>page/one-column.phtml</template></empty>
                <
one_column><label>1 column</label><template>page/1column.phtml</template></one_column>
                <
left_column><label>Column on the left</label><template>page/2columns-left.phtml</template></left_column>
                <
right_column><label>Column on the right</label><template>page/2columns-right.phtml</template></right_column>
                <
three_column><label>3 columns</label><template>page/3columns.phtml</template></three_column>
                <
homepage_column><label>Homepage</label><template>page/homepage.phtml</template></homepage_column>
            </
layouts>
        </
cms>

This will now appear in the admin area so I can use it for cateogies or CMS pages

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Bernhard Huber

Total Posts:  28
Warsaw Poland

To my mind, it would be cool, if this could be autodetected, it would improve workflow

Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

For this functionality you can customize following files:
* app/code/core/Mage/Catalog/Model/Entity/Category/Attribute/Source/Layout.php - to read files from specific directory
* app/code/core/Mage/Catalog/Block/Category/View.php - line 41 - use the attribute value instead of configuration

Let me know if you have questions smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

StevePeters

Total Posts:  5

Dan Orsborne - 09 October 2007 01:12 AM

If you want to create a new template and get it to appear in the dropdowns first create the new phtml file in the app\design\frontend\OC\default\template\page folder. I’ll call it homepage.phtml for this example.  I would like this template to be used on the home cateogry so I need to open app\code\core\Mage\Cms\etc\config.xml and edit the following code:

<cms>
            <
layouts>
                <empty><
label>Empty</label><template>page/one-column.phtml</template></empty>
                <
one_column><label>1 column</label><template>page/1column.phtml</template></one_column>
                <
left_column><label>Column on the left</label><template>page/2columns-left.phtml</template></left_column>
                <
right_column><label>Column on the right</label><template>page/2columns-right.phtml</template></right_column>
                <
three_column><label>3 columns</label><template>page/3columns.phtml</template></three_column>
                <
homepage_column><label>Homepage</label><template>page/homepage.phtml</template></homepage_column>
            </
layouts>
        </
cms>

This will now appear in the admin area so I can use it for cateogies or CMS pages

The code noted above does not appear in config.xml in Magento ver. 1.3.2.4.

Magento Community
Magento Community

StevePeters

Total Posts:  5

Moshe - 24 October 2007 12:01 AM

For this functionality you can customize following files:
* app/code/core/Mage/Catalog/Model/Entity/Category/Attribute/Source/Layout.php - to read files from specific directory
* app/code/core/Mage/Catalog/Block/Category/View.php - line 41 - use the attribute value instead of configuration

Let me know if you have questions smile

Line 41 of app/code/core/Mage/Catalog/Block/Category/View.php is blank.

Looks like this thread is referring to an earlier Magento version and is useless for Magento ver. 1.3.2.4

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community