Magento Forum

Showing Products By Category

aikaterine

Total Posts:  47

Hello All,

I cannot figure out what is wrong with this loop and am hoping that someone might be able to help. It is only populating the URL variable correctly. Everything else returns empty.

<?php
$cat_id = 39;
$cur_cat=Mage::getModel('catalog/category')->load($cat_id);
if (($_products = $cur_cat->getProductCollection()) && $_products->getSize()):
$i=0;
foreach ($_products->getItems() as $_product):
if ($i>5): continue;
endif;

echo 'Product Name: '. $this->htmlEscape($_product->getName()).'<br />';
echo 'Product URL: '.$_product->getProductUrl().'<br />';
echo 'Product Image: '. $this->helper('catalog/image')->init($_product, 'small_image')->resize(135, 135).'<br />';
echo 'Product Price: '. $this->helper('catalog/product')->getPriceHtml($_product, true).'<br />';

$i++;
endforeach;
endif;
?>

Thank you, in advance, for any help.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

aikaterine

Just to let everyone know, I followed the tutorial at Scrolling Products Displayed by Category using jCarousel in order to work around this problem. It would still be nice to know what was wrong with my loop. In any case, the fix is at the link.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

Total Posts:  1144

Nice article!

About your domain, thought you may like to read this :
http://www.magentocommerce.com/license/

and this thread

http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/6720/#t28774

Magento Community
Magento Community

aikaterine

@chinesedream

I am missing your point. You can’t seriously be implying that no one IN THE WORLD can have a domain with the word Magento in it? I am not sure of the case law on this, especially with regards to jurisdiction and the like.  As far as my attorneys have always told me as long as

(1) you clearly state that your site is not affiliated with the product you are writing about
(2) the site is non-commercial (i.e. news, criticism, etc...)

then having a trademark in the URL is not a problem. I am sure that all companies would LOVE it if that were not the case. But, free speech is a wonderful thing. I think the relevant regulations say that the domain has to be registered ‘in bad faith’. They are meant to protect trademarks from abuse - not from individuals who have a legitimate interest in the product they are writing about.

The second link you pointed me to, the topic on the forums here, was involving someone who was selling a magento manual. In that case, a url containing the word ‘Magento’ might violate tradmark laws. But, that is because it is commercial. I could be wrong on this, but I have been in the business a while and am pretty sure the line is drawn at non-commercial in precedent.

That said, I will forward your concerns to the blog in question - I am sure they will be interested to review it.

@Ron
Huh???

Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

aikaterine, I am not a lawyer so I cannot answer that. I was not implying anything but was merely point out something that you may not aware.

Another thing, If I want to be argumentative about it, it does look strange to me why a non-commercial site wants to have a domain with ‘magento’ - there are quite many blogs already written articles about Magento, but none of them have ‘Magento’ this word in their domains- I am almost certain ‘Magento’ did not exist until Varien came out the name. Perhaps the site is non-commercial as you put it, it does make your visitors think there is ulterior motive to generate income either through google adsense or bring traffic to the site via search engine, so there is indirect (potential) marketing interest whatever angle I look at it. A good experienced trademark lawyer probably will make a good case.

Magento Community
Magento Community

aikaterine

I could not comment on the motives of the site owners. But, I would really hate for other people who read this thread to think that they could not use a trademark in a URL. That really is not the case.

While a good patent lawyer could try to make a case of it (and many have and failed) the regulations are written to protect against abusive practices - not against informational sites. And a fresh out of law school attorney could probably defend an informational non-commercial site who has used a trademark in their URL against a very good patent attorney.

There are tons of sites about oscommerce, windows, microsoft, drupal, etc… that are blogs and that use the trademark in their URL’s. No one claims that they are misleading the public; and no one claims that they are trying to do anything under handed. So I am really unclear as to why this one is such a bee in your bonnet. How is magento-blog.net significantly different than microsoft.weblogsinc.com or mydrupalblog.com or whydrupal.com?

Listen, I don’t know if you are just trying to be argumentative or if you actually believe what you are saying. But really, it is not the case that trademarks cannot be used in a URL. If you really do believe what you are saying then I would highly suggest that you consult the relevant regulations (maybe start with ICANN). There are a lot of grey areas, especially as relates to trademarks - but the non-commercial (free-speech) line is drawn pretty clearly in case law.

Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Magento Team

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

Our position in regards to usage of our trademark has been made public multiple times, including on the following page: http://www.magentocommerce.com/license/

We obviously don’t have an issue with the content whatsoever despite of our opinions on the matter. Other blogs and communities that have respected our position exist on the market and we have wished them nothing but success (in fact, we are in close touch with many of the operators).

@aikaterine - trademarks can not be used in URL’s. The fact that other companies and projects have not enforced their marks is irrelevant to the legal discussion. I can guarantee you that Microsoft (and other organizations) have been very active in shutting down domains that violate their terms - this is standard business practice. Do a google search - there is a a lot of information on this topic if you are interested.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

aikaterine - 31 May 2008 12:36 PM

I could not comment on the motives of the site owners. .

Oh, I thought you are the owner of the site (or one of the owners of the site). what lead me to this thinking was that you asked about jCarousel and requested Varien to release API (something I am interested too), and the site has an article about ‘API reference’ with an opening “Since Varien cannot be bothered to release an API,”, and that you posted three messages in different thread to announce this blog.

Sorry if I mistaken.

Magento Community
Magento Community

aikaterine

@Roy

Thanks for weighing in. Since you were kind enough to respond, I figured that I should educate myself a little more before responding to you. I do know how busy you are and I appreciate your opinion on this matter. Not sure why I care so much as we are not talking about my blog - but - I just don’t want to leave this hanging. And I wanted to make sure that my gut and remembrances were correct.

After speaking with a fairly good patent attorney (my uncle) about this, I am still of the opinion that trademarks can be used in URL’s under certain instances. It does depend on the nature of the site who is using the trademark; and in particular, it all hinges on the term ‘bad faith’. Which is ultimately tied to how judges define ‘bad faith’. Of course, this is a battle best fought by attorneys in the courts. And I imagine that we will see many more along the trademark route.

But, my uncle did validate my initial argument it has been pretty clear in the case law that informational sites who have an interest in the trademark that is not a commercial one are not abusing the trademark.

He did verify that microsoft and other companies have pushed to get their names removed from URL’s, but the URL’s in questions were mainly commercial interests who were profiting from the use of the trademark.

Here is one example:

The Sixth Circuit (which covers Tennessee, Kentucky, Ohio and Michigan) held that a domain name holder’s use of another’s trademark in a ‘fan’ site did not run afoul of Section 1114 of the Lanham Act because of the presence of both a prominent disclaimer on the site disavowing any affiliation with mark owner, and a link to plaintiff’s official web site. The domain holder’s use of the trademarks in conjunction with the word “sucks” in the domain names of non-commercial complaint sites did not violate Section 1114 of the Lanham Act because there was no likelihood of consumer confusion arising from that type of use, and because such speech is protected by the First Amendment of the US Constitution. The Taubman Company v. Webfeats, et al., Nos. 01-2648/2725 (6th Cir., February 7, 2003).

So, I guess if Varien wanted to be really really pissy they could try to shut down an informational site using their Trademark in the URl. But then, if I were the owner I would just re-register it with the word ‘sucks’ added.

It’s all very grey; and while I personally, respect Varien’s request for people not to use the name in their URL’s, I also respect other people’s right to free speech. And if I were publishing a blog on Magento that I intended for people to read, then it would make sense to use Magento in the domain. I mean, it is a blog about Magento.

Christ, I don’t even know why I am defending it - other than out of some crazy need to argue. I cannot believe I called my uncle about this. You know what, forget it, neither you nor I have time for this.

I love your product, thank you for releasing it, sorry for being such a pain. I was a philosophy major, the argumentative nature sticks. As does the need to be right - all of the time.

I wish you all the best.

@chinesedream

What are you talking about. I did not ‘announce’ this blog. I did have multiple posts with questions about using jCarousel and making a product list. Trying to find an answer to that question is how I found it. And, after solving my problem, I did place a closing post on those topics mentioning where the solve is. How is that ‘announcing’ anything. And I am certainly not the first or last person who is complaining about the lack of an API. In point of fact, I know many multi-office development firms have put off seriously integrating it into their practices because of this lack. It is a big big issue for some people.

Christ, do I know you? Do you have some sort of issue with me?  Are you someone I have pissed off in the past? It is likely, I have a habit of pissing people off, it is my strong suit. I must have done something for you to take the time to catalogue all of my posts (it appears you did that - although you misrepresented them). But really, whatever I did that has gotten you worked up enough to argue with every single post I make - I’m sorry.

Can we please move on? Do we really want for this topic to be a ‘hot one’?

Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Magento Team

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

While I appreciate you ‘uncle’s’ opinion and your 20 minute education on this topic, I would advise you not to provide legal opinions and advice to others in the community. Our position is clear and we will take action and protect our brand/trademark as we see fit.

This discussion has been exhausted. Let’s move on.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community