Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Newbie Questions! Please help

ianpparker

Total Posts:  7

Good afternoon,

Before I get started, I just wanted to say that I have asked Mr Google for answers to these questions for the last couple of weeks, as well as looking through the forums.  However if there is a link I missed for a topic, then I am extremely sorry!

I am currently using a pretty generic theme, but I am using it as a foundation to eventually building my own site.

So to the point smile

1.  I am using the \"Additional Information\” tab for my products, and did find a nice script that made these go into 2 columns.  However I would really like to have the Attribute Set folder name to be used as a title. so it would be something like the below.  I have seen many sites that have this, but I have been unable to find a tutorial on how to get it.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Hardware Specifications
Chassis:  2U RAM:  18GB
Processor:  Intel something

Software Options
Operating System:  Windows 2k20
-----------------------------------------------------------------

2.  For each product I have there are maybe 4 different hardware options / bundles that I offer, but then there are about 15 different subscriptions that you could purchase extra.  I have been playing around trying to work out how to best do this.  Currently the most effective all be it extremely time consuming is to add custom options to the product.  The downside of this is that I have 1 Configurable Product which then creates the 4 linked single products.  But I have to add the custom options to each one separately when they are all exactly the same with the same SKU\’s.

Is there a better way of doing this?

Also I would like to be able to add a separate link at some point and call it subscriptions, where you can search through the custom options for a specific model and it will list them?  is this possible?

3.  I assume that I can perform some kind of Import that will be able to update pricing based on a SKU from a CSV file?

4.  I have added the SKU to each \"single product\” however I am only able to search for the configurable products SKU which I have just made up for each one as I needed to use the correct SKU\’s for the single products rather.  I did find the option to turn searching on in the configuration, however the problem then with that is that when they search and find it, it brings up the single product whick more often than not is not up to date, because we are updating the information on the Configurable Product instead.  So there are no pictures, or descriptions filled in etc. 

OK, I think that is enough to keep me going for another few weeks if I get these answered.  I would like to say a big thanks in advance as the only reason I have managed to get so far is because of community responses to other people questions.

Thanks again,

Ian

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

ianpparker

Hi all,

Sorry for bump, but I have still not heard anything, and am completely stuck currently.

I did have one nice gentleman send me a PM, however I do not have the capital to pay for his help at the moment.  Any community assistance would be really appreciated.

Thanks again in advance

Ian

Magento Community
Magento Community

louise100

Total Posts:  168
UK

Hi,

This might help with your first question:-

http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/19215/P45/

(the post by ChromeMedia)

grin

Magento Community
Magento Community

ianpparker

Thank you to those that commented or PMd me, it is very much appreciated.

I have written various custom modules / adapted extensions that I have found in the Library so thanks to all those great people that contribute!

I have one further question if anyone can help.

I found that the best way to achieve the way I wanted to display products was to use Grouped products rather than Configurable products.

However the issue I now have is that there are subscription services that are applied to the grouped products that I sell, so is there a way of adding Custom drop down menus that can be used to either ADD to the product when purchasing, or be just be standalone for yearly renewals for example?

Thanks in advance again!

Ian

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community