Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Changing the “Columns”

Tropicdeals

Total Posts:  16

Hello,

Forgive me if this has been answered, but I am a bit new at this and do not fully understand the structure.  I am attempting to locate the files that would allow me to change the columns.  For example, on the homepage--you have the poll; newsletter; “did you know”, “back to school”, Compare Products, and My Cart.

My question is, what file would allow me to change these specific “blocks” if that is what they are called.

Thank You,

Brian Meyer

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

alistek

Total Posts:  293
Normal, IL

Look into the designers guide first for an overview of the structure.  After that what you are looking for are the layout xml files that control where things are placed.  Next you will want to look at the specific static blocks and also any CMS pages that have those involved.  All of the theme files are in the template directory as phtml files.

-Adam

Magento Community
Magento Community

sdsocali

Total Posts:  6

Ok. I have read all the threads and i am still beating my head against the wall. I want to change the columns from 3 to 1. I went into catalogserch.xml and change it to:
<reference name="root">
<action method="setTemplate"><template>page/1column.phtml</template></action>
</reference>
still when i do a search i get 3 columns. http://www.pairedpixels.com/online-gallery/catalogsearch/result/?q=search&x;=0&y;=0

Can anyone help. I want it to look like this. http://www.pairedpixels.com/online-gallery/man-made

File Attachments
catalogsearch.xml  (File Size: 6KB - Downloads: 40)

Magento Community
Magento Community

fenixf

Total Posts:  35

in catalogsearch you hava a:

<catalogsearch_advanced_result>
        <!-- 
Mage_Catalogsearch -->
        <
reference name="root">
            <